Net::IMAP - Support for 'plain' authentication?

Sean Hussey

3/8/2006 3:25:00 PM

Hi everyone,

Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?

Thanks,

Sean

5 Answers

Steve Peters

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 12:24:44AM +0900, Sean Hussey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
> authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
> approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
> another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?

Take a look at <raa.ruby-lang.org/cache/imap-backend/imap-backend.rb>
for a PLAIN authenticator.

Steve Peters
steve@fisharerojo.org

Sean Hussey

Interesting...I'll give it a try. Not much documentation, though.

When I requre the file and run my script (no other modifications), I get this:

rmail IMAP backend
Starting...
...creating IMAP session service...
...creating watchdog thread...
...starting DRb server...
...started on druby://localhost:31382...
...done.

Until I Ctrl-C and it moves on. After that, I get other IMAP errors I
can likely deal with. How do I stop DRB from running?

Thank you!

Sean

On 3/8/06, Steve Peters <steve@fisharerojo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 12:24:44AM +0900, Sean Hussey wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
> > authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
> > approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
> > another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?
>
> Take a look at <raa.ruby-lang.org/cache/imap-backend/imap-backend.rb>
> for a PLAIN authenticator.
>
> Steve Peters
> steve@fisharerojo.org

Andreas S.

Sean Hussey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
> authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
> approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
> another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?

Try IMAP#login instead of IMAP#authenticate, this uses a different
authentication method. It works with my Dovecot server although Dovecot
doesn't support LOGIN authentication.

Sean Hussey

Oh, wow, it works. That's amazing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this method is better
than using imap-backend? They both work, but I'm afraid of the
overhead and uncertainty of a codebase that's at 0.1 and has no
homepage or documentation.

Thanks!

Sean

On 3/8/06, Andreas S. <f@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> Sean Hussey wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
> > authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
> > approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
> > another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?
>
> Try IMAP#login instead of IMAP#authenticate, this uses a different
> authentication method. It works with my Dovecot server although Dovecot
> doesn't support LOGIN authentication.

Dick Davies

stick with net::imap. less to install and it's a really lovely
library (I know MTAs that were harder to use than irb and Net::IMAP).

(no offence to imap-backend)

http://number9.helloope...