Whatever happened to the improved Ruby website proj?

ptkwt

3/7/2006 10:00:00 PM

This came up in another thread, but I haven't seen an answer there so here's
a new thread:

A year or more ago there was a big push to create an improved Ruby website.
Something that would look nicer and promote Ruby better than the current one.
There were prototypes created that looked rather nice as I recall, but then it
all seemed to disappear. What happened?

Phil

18 Answers

John W. Long

Phil Tomson wrote:
> This came up in another thread, but I haven't seen an answer there so here's
> a new thread:
>
> A year or more ago there was a big push to create an improved Ruby website.
> Something that would look nicer and promote Ruby better than the current one.
> There were prototypes created that looked rather nice as I recall, but then it
> all seemed to disappear. What happened?

We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :-) The design has
been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
right content management system. We finally decided to do something
custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port most of
the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
complicates things.

Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.

--
John Long
http://wiseheart...

Mike Whited

On 3/7/06, Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:

> This came up in another thread, but I haven't seen an answer there so
> here's
> a new thread:
>
> A year or more ago there was a big push to create an improved Ruby
> website.
> Something that would look nicer and promote Ruby better than the current
> one.
> There were prototypes created that looked rather nice as I recall, but
> then it
> all seemed to disappear. What happened?
>
> Phil

The blog is here: http://redhanded.hobix.com/red...
Who knows when they'll launch something new.

Jeff

John W. Long wrote:
> We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :-) The design has
> been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
> right content management system. We finally decided to do something
> custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port most of
> the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
> deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
> complicates things.
>
> Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.

I'd be willing to donate some time if there's any way I can help? (I'm
sure some others would be too.)

Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com
cohen.jeff {at} gmail.com

Jason N.Perkins

On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Jeff Cohen wrote:

> John W. Long wrote:
>> We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :-) The
>> design has
>> been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
>> right content management system. We finally decided to do something
>> custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port
>> most of
>> the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
>> deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
>> complicates things.
>>
>> Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.
>
> I'd be willing to donate some time if there's any way I can help?
> (I'm
> sure some others would be too.)

I'm willing to donate some time to that cause.

--
Jason Perkins
jperkins@sneer.org

"The computer allows you to make mistakes
faster than any other invention, with the
possible exception of handguns and tequila."

Gary Wright

On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:25 PM, John W. Long wrote:
> We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :-) The
> design has been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled
> with picking the right content management system. We finally
> decided to do something custom which is almost complete.

Thanks for all your efforts. I'm curious as to what requirements led
you to
create your own CMS? I'm doing some work/research in this area and
I'd like
to know what was 'missing' from the available systems you
considered. What
systems did you consider? Even just a few off the cuff thoughts
would be
appreciated.

Gary Wright

Ken Collins

Perhaps the reason was "eating your own dog food"? A Ruby CMS?

On Mar 7, 2006, at 11:21 PM, gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:25 PM, John W. Long wrote:
>> We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :-) The
>> design has been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled
>> with picking the right content management system. We finally
>> decided to do something custom which is almost complete.
>
> Thanks for all your efforts. I'm curious as to what requirements
> led you to
> create your own CMS? I'm doing some work/research in this area and
> I'd like
> to know what was 'missing' from the available systems you
> considered. What
> systems did you consider? Even just a few off the cuff thoughts
> would be
> appreciated.
>
> Gary Wright

John W. Long

gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:
> I'm curious as to what requirements led you to create your own CMS? I'm
> doing some work/research in this area and I'd like
> to know what was 'missing' from the available systems you considered. What
> systems did you consider? Even just a few off the cuff thoughts would be
> appreciated.

For starters we were looking for something in Ruby. At the moment there
is not a general purpose CMS available for Ruby. We considered using
Hobix for the blog part and something like Hieraki for the documentation
section, but neither one seemed to be a good fit for the Ruby site. We
also looked at Typo. In the end, we realized that in order to get any of
the existing systems to work together we would have to do so much
customization that it would be difficult to maintain. I've also had an
itch for creating my own CMS and thought this would be a good project to
try out some of my ideas. I spent the month of January working on the
CMS and am very pleased with how it is turning out. I've got about a
week's worth of work left on it before it will be ready for ruby-lang.org.

You can read about my progress on my Web site:

http://wiseheart.../articles/2006/01/05/...
http://wiseheart.../articles/2006/01/05/creating-...
http://wiseheart.../articles/2006/01/12/javasc...
http://wiseheart.../articles/2006/01/31...

I plan to open source it in the future and will be looking for
contributors. E-mail me off-list if you are interested.

--
John Long
http://wiseheart...

Gary Wright

On Mar 7, 2006, at 11:35 PM, Ken Collins wrote:
> Perhaps the reason was "eating your own dog food"? A Ruby CMS?

I know of the various wiki and blog frameworks in Ruby.

I haven't really found any CMS frameworks, which is why I asked the
question. Maybe there is something out there that I'm not aware of.

Gary Wright

Pistos Christou

John W. Long wrote:
> You can read about my progress on my Web site:
>
> http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/05/...
> http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/05/creating-...
> http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/12/javasc...
> http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/31...
>
> I plan to open source it in the future and will be looking for
> contributors. E-mail me off-list if you are interested.

I really can't wait for you to release the code for this. Please do so
as soon as possible, even if you think it's not ready for prime time :)
or even if it would only be made available via CVS or svn or something.

I wrote a Ruby-based CMS myself (which I am too shy to link to here...
it's painfully in need of a rewrite in either Rails or Nitro+Og), but
yours looks droolworthy.

I've been wanting something that gives the ease of WordPress, but
broadened into general-purpose website creation.

Pistos

John W. Long

Pistos Christou wrote:
> I really can't wait for you to release the code for this. Please do so
> as soon as possible, even if you think it's not ready for prime time :)
> or even if it would only be made available via CVS or svn or something.

I can't wait to release it either. All in good time though. As I've said
the feature set for the new Ruby-Lang.org is almost complete. When I've
finished that I will probably give the public anonymous access to the
repository and begin asking for feedback. There are limits to one man's
creativity. :-)

--
John