Python looking better ...

james_b

3/6/2006 11:55:00 PM

... though they need someone to improve the grammar:

http://www.p...

They got rid of that fugly "ping-pong ball" text logo, too.

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://refreshing... - Design, technology, usability

19 Answers

Marcin Mielzynski

James Britt wrote:
> .. though they need someone to improve the grammar:
>
> http://www.p...
>

> They got rid of that fugly "ping-pong ball" text logo, too.

I've seen a new Ruby homepage proposal somewhere.... iirc

lopex

ptkwt

In article <440CCBD8.7060006@neurogami.com>,
James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>.. though they need someone to improve the grammar:
>
>http://www.p...

Speaking of improved language websites... wasn't there an effort afoot (more
than a year ago I think) to improve Ruby's website? Some nice looking protoype
sites were produced, but nothing ever came of it... what gives?

BTW: we can also put "NASA uses Ruby" on our website too ;-)

Phil

Bil Kleb

James Britt wrote:
> .. though they need someone to improve the grammar:
>
> http://www.p...

I feel left out. Where's our "NASA uses Ruby" ad?

:)

--
Bil
http://fun3d.lar...

Bil Kleb

Phil Tomson wrote:
> James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>>http://www.p...
>
> BTW: we can also put "NASA uses Ruby" on our website too ;-)

The curious thing is that when I went to the success stories
page, and did text-search for "NASA", it came up empty?

--
Bil
http://fun3d.lar...

Karl von Laudermann

Bil Kleb wrote:
> Phil Tomson wrote:
> > James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> >>http://www.p...
> >
> > BTW: we can also put "NASA uses Ruby" on our website too ;-)
>
> The curious thing is that when I went to the success stories
> page, and did text-search for "NASA", it came up empty?

Search for "shuttle". Or just click on the photo on the front page.

Bil Kleb

Karl von Laudermann wrote:

> Search for "shuttle". Or just click on the photo on the front page.

Ah, so it's not NASA, but a NASA contractor...

--
Bil
http://fun3d.lar...

Rob Sanheim

On 3/6/06, Marcin Mielzynski <lopexx@autograf.pl> wrote:> James Britt wrote:> > .. though they need someone to improve the grammar:> >> > http://www.pytho... >> >> > They got rid of that fugly "ping-pong ball" text logo, too.> >>> I've seen a new Ruby homepage proposal somewhere.... iirc>> lopex>>Its still going on as far as I know, just progressing slowly. The blog is here:http://redhanded.hobix.com/rede... Rob--http://www.robsanheim.com/http://www.aj...

james_b

Rob Sanheim wrote:
...>

> Its still going on as far as I know, just progressing slowly. The blog is here:
>
> http://redhanded.hobix.com/red...

Some interesting comments on Reddit about the new Python look:

http://reddit.com/in...

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://refreshing... - Design, technology, usability

Steven Lumos

james_b

Steven Lumos wrote:
>>... though they need someone to improve the grammar:
>>
>>http://www.p...
>>

>>They got rid of that fugly "ping-pong ball" text logo, too.
>

> IMO, the Ruby site redesign guys are on a much better track. Who
> really cares whether NASA uses Python? One thing I learned from having
> to sit through too many software marketing presentations is that
> organizations like NASA are to software what the Library of Congress
> is to books. I finally started interrupting presenters to ask
> something like "Do you realize that *all* of your competitors have
> LANL on their peer-pressure slide too?" Most actually didn't!

There's an argument to be made that language advocacy, and "selling"
Ruby (or Python or Lisp or whatever), is distasteful.

There's also a counterargument suggesting that the language and its
community will be better off for the greater exposure and mainstream use.

I believe that language marketing itself is fine, though it can be
poorly or distastefully done. People looking to code Ruby for a living
are helped if HR people or recruiters or whomever have heard of Ruby;
people currently trying to persuade their coworkers or boss to adopt
Ruby are helped if Ruby is better known and people are assured that more
Ruby hackers can be found if a bus takes out the one or two Rubyists
they know.

But there is the counter-counterargument that it is more important to
attract the right kind of people, not simply large crowds of
indiscriminate coders. And that poor marketing (e.g., My language is
cool, your language is a mouse poop sandwich) will turn people off.

I'd like to think that if you make the intrinsic strengths of Ruby
obvious then it will (continue to) attract the people who will help make
it better (by keen observations, code submission, library creation),
which in turn will draw the attention of the more practical-minded.

But it may be that "success story" blurbs are still needed to win over
project managers and such.

--
James Britt

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by
uncertainty cannot be the truth."
- R. Feynman