Unix Shell

Greg Johnson

3/2/2006 3:23:00 PM

I'm new to RUBY, but am familar with other scripting languages, PHP,
Perl, Wscript, etc. I'd like to be able to run items from the shell
such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt. Just an example. Can I do this?

I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found". Hope they can
get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

Thanks in advance.
-Greg

James Byrne

Greg Johnson wrote:
> I'd like to be able to run items from the shell
> such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt. Just an example. Can I do this?

Try the Pickaxe book, the first edition is available on-line in pdf
format. You can pass commands to the shell directly using back ticks `s
-l > dirlisting.txt` or the %x expansion %x{echo "me, me, me..."}

Regards,
Jim

Gregory Seidman

}
} I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
} when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found". Hope they can
} get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

There are two ways. One way:

file_list = `ls -l`.scan(/^.*$/)[1..-1]
file_list.each { |line|
puts "permissions for #{line[49..-1]} are #{line[1..9]}"
}

The other way:

system('ls -l > dirlisting.txt')

} Thanks in advance.
} -Greg
--Greg

Greg Johnson

Thanks for the tips, they work like a charm. Does anyone know why the
search functionality doesn't work?

Anthony DeRobertis

Robert Klemme

Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:23:08AM +0900, Greg Johnson wrote:
> } I'm new to RUBY, but am familar with other scripting languages, PHP,
> } Perl, Wscript, etc. I'd like to be able to run items from the
> shell } such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt. Just an example. Can I do
> this? }
> } I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
> } when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found". Hope they
> can } get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.
>
> There are two ways. One way:
>
> file_list = `ls -l`.scan(/^.*$/)[1..-1]
> file_list.each { |line|
> puts "permissions for #{line[49..-1]} are #{line[1..9]}"
> }
>
> The other way:
>
> system('ls -l > dirlisting.txt')

There are plenty of other ways.

system "ls", "-l"
system "bash", "-c", "ls -l > dirlisting.txt"
Dir["*"].each {|f| File.symlink? f and puts f}

Cheers

robert