Ruby Path

Joiey.Seeley

3/1/2006 5:56:00 PM

My ruby applications have suddenly stopped running on my PC. It looks
like the gem libraries are no longer in the path. My gems are
installed to this directory C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems
I never had to setup a manual path for this, it was "auto-magically"
handled by Ruby. Any ideas what would cause this to just quit working
like this and how to fix it? Is there some Ruby config file that loads
the paths etc...

Thanks!

11 Answers

Jim Weirich

unknown wrote:
> My ruby applications have suddenly stopped running on my PC. It looks
> like the gem libraries are no longer in the path. My gems are
> installed to this directory C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems>
> I never had to setup a manual path for this, it was "auto-magically"
> handled by Ruby. Any ideas what would cause this to just quit working
> like this and how to fix it? Is there some Ruby config file that loads
> the paths etc...

Libraries in the gem directories need to use the RubyGems runtime to
find them. The one click installer implicitly loads RubyGems by setting
the RUBYOPT environment variable to 'rubygems'. Is is possible this
environment variable is no longer set?

---
-- Jim Weirich

Joiey.Seeley

Jim,

Thanks for the help! The RUBYOPT environment variable must be set
behind the scenes somewhere. I did not have it set in my Windows
environment variables previously, but had just recently added it and
set it to "w" to get more detailed warning messages. After changing
this to "rubygems" everything worked great again.

Joe

Curt Hibbs

On 3/1/06, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/1/06, Joiey.Seeley@gmail.com <Joiey.Seeley@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > Thanks for the help! The RUBYOPT environment variable must be set
> > behind the scenes somewhere. I did not have it set in my Windows
> > environment variables previously, but had just recently added it and
> > set it to "w" to get more detailed warning messages. After changing
> > this to "rubygems" everything worked great again.
>
> How do you put two options in RUBTOPT? What's the delimiter?
> For example, what if I wanted both "rubygems" and "w"?
> "rubygems w" and "rubygems, w" don't work under Windows in Ruby 1.8.4.

If you want to put multiple options in RUBYOPT then you must use the
"-" character on the options. So, in this case you'd have to set it to
"-rubygems -w".

Curt

Lord Vader III

On 9/23/2011 1:24 PM, Obveeus wrote:
> "Lord Vader III"<lord.vader.iii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/23/2011 10:54 AM, David wrote:
>>> http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/23/charlies-angel...
>>>
>>> 11 percent from Outsourced last year. More surprising was the
>>> performance of Maria Bello?s Prime Suspect (6 million, 1.8), which
>>> most pegged as having a strong chance of becoming a contender this
>>> fall. Suspect was NBC?s lowest rated Thursday fall premiere ever.
>>
>> The show has potential but her stupid hat and them totally playing up the
>> female discrimination / harassment in the previews and pilot probably
>> turned a lot of people off.
>
> The female discrimination promos were enough to convince me not to watch.

And that is exactly the problem. I read somewhere that they pretty much
dump that entire plot device after the pilot but it already did it's damage.

LVIII

shawn

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:33:37 -0500, Lord Vader III
<lord.vader.iii@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 9/23/2011 1:24 PM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> The show has potential but her stupid hat and them totally playing up the
>>> female discrimination / harassment in the previews and pilot probably
>>> turned a lot of people off.
>>
>> The female discrimination promos were enough to convince me not to watch.
>
>And that is exactly the problem. I read somewhere that they pretty much
>dump that entire plot device after the pilot but it already did it's damage.

What I saw of the show in the promos convinced me not to even check it
out and I like Mario Bello. Like I told a friend of mine last night I
might check out the show in a few weeks to see if the writers have
changed things around but if they happen to stick with what they
showed early on it won't be worth my time.

Mason Barge

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:00:37 -0400, shawn <nanoflower@gNOTmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:33:37 -0500, Lord Vader III
><lord.vader.iii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The female discrimination promos were enough to convince me not to watch.
>>
>>And that is exactly the problem. I read somewhere that they pretty much
>>dump that entire plot device after the pilot but it already did it's damage.
>
>What I saw of the show in the promos convinced me not to even check it
>out and I like Mario Bello. Like I told a friend of mine last night I
>might check out the show in a few weeks to see if the writers have
>changed things around but if they happen to stick with what they
>showed early on it won't be worth my time.

Ditto to this and several above.

In general, the forced feminization of police procedurals has hit and
exceeded the saturation point. Something like 14% of police officers in
the US are female. I can understand why they want a "strong" female
character in broadcast shows, but it has gotten ridiculously unrealistic.

It seems only cable shows are willing to do without a jacked-up hardass
female cop and/or female supervisor, and they are often among the better
entries in the genre: White Collar, Breaking Bad (in the more general
"crime" genre), Justified (which does have a supproting black female
deputy).

Dano

"Mason Barge" wrote in message

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:00:37 -0400, shawn <nanoflower@gNOTmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:33:37 -0500, Lord Vader III
><lord.vader.iii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The female discrimination promos were enough to convince me not to
>>> watch.
>>
>>And that is exactly the problem. I read somewhere that they pretty much
>>dump that entire plot device after the pilot but it already did it's
>>damage.
>
>What I saw of the show in the promos convinced me not to even check it
>out and I like Mario Bello. Like I told a friend of mine last night I
>might check out the show in a few weeks to see if the writers have
>changed things around but if they happen to stick with what they
>showed early on it won't be worth my time.

Ditto to this and several above.

In general, the forced feminization of police procedurals has hit and
exceeded the saturation point. Something like 14% of police officers in
the US are female. I can understand why they want a "strong" female
character in broadcast shows, but it has gotten ridiculously unrealistic.

It seems only cable shows are willing to do without a jacked-up hardass
female cop and/or female supervisor, and they are often among the better
entries in the genre: White Collar, Breaking Bad (in the more general
"crime" genre), Justified (which does have a supproting black female
deputy).

What I actually liked about this one was a more realistic (at least to my
thinking...I'm not inside a PD) portrayal of a woman breaking into the
closed society of macho male cops...especially the rarified air of a
detectives room. As you (probably) rightly point out Mason, only 14% (I'm
trusting your stat here) of police are female. I doubt they are welcomed
enthusiastically by the male rank and file as in the vast majority of cop
shows. Just as I doubt there is no racial friction in any department today.
So I thought it pretty reasonable the reaction to this rather brusque,
crusty "take-no-prisoners" type of woman cop. To her credit OR discredit,
she does NOT choose to make nice or kiss ass to be accepted. In fact...I
thought the main misstep was in portraying her as being so "butch" but not
having the balls to have her be a lesbian. The boyfriend was the ONLY thing
that feminized her. I'm not sure that works for me. They might have had
the courage to make her character gay...IF they (ANYONE) thought they could
get it on air. So basically...I'm saying if you're going to draw the
character that way...go through with it. But I fully understand...Ellen and
Jane Lynch aside...most Americans aren't ready for that. They like their
lesbians likeable and/or funny at least.

Having said that...I like the show so far. Terrific cast. I expect the
cops will eventually gain mutual respect, if not a close personal bond.

Obveeus

"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems only cable shows are willing to do without a jacked-up hardass
> female cop and/or female supervisor, and they are often among the better
> entries in the genre: White Collar, Breaking Bad (in the more general
> "crime" genre), Justified (which does have a supproting black female
> deputy).

Where does DEXTER fall into this theory? Does she not count as a 'jacked-up
hardass' simply because the decrees she makes are random and illogical half
the time?

Mason Barge

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:04:15 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems only cable shows are willing to do without a jacked-up hardass
>> female cop and/or female supervisor, and they are often among the better
>> entries in the genre: White Collar, Breaking Bad (in the more general
>> "crime" genre), Justified (which does have a supproting black female
>> deputy).
>
>Where does DEXTER fall into this theory? Does she not count as a 'jacked-up
>hardass' simply because the decrees she makes are random and illogical half
>the time?

I didn't mean to imply that all cable cop shows are immune. In fact, with
its ability to pitch to more specific niche audiences, cable is perfectly
capable of extreme twisting of ethnic and gender realities, witness "The
Closer".

Dexter has a pretty bad case of PC police casting, but it's not so much
the sister. She's a fairly cliched "jacked-up female hardass" but she's
complex and she's at the bottom of the food chain. She's certainly an
enjoyable character, at any rate.

Where Dexter would qualify is the lieutenant, who has (in my viewing to
date) been female Cuban, then female Haitian, then female Cuban again.
(Although I'm guessing the Cuban ethnicity aspect fits the Miami-Dade
police force statistical profile pretty well.)

Obveeus

"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:04:15 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems only cable shows are willing to do without a jacked-up hardass
>>> female cop and/or female supervisor, and they are often among the better
>>> entries in the genre: White Collar, Breaking Bad (in the more general
>>> "crime" genre), Justified (which does have a supproting black female
>>> deputy).
>>
>>Where does DEXTER fall into this theory? Does she not count as a
>>'jacked-up
>>hardass' simply because the decrees she makes are random and illogical
>>half
>>the time?

> Dexter has a pretty bad case of PC police casting, but it's not so much
> the sister. She's a fairly cliched "jacked-up female hardass" but she's
> complex and she's at the bottom of the food chain. She's certainly an
> enjoyable character, at any rate.
>
> Where Dexter would qualify is the lieutenant,

Yes, the lieutenant is the female character I was speaking of. The sister
is foul mouthed, but other than that she seems to be about as
touchy/feely/cry-y as any cop on TV in the past few decades.