pthreads on HPUX

benjohn

3/1/2006 2:46:00 PM

There are some historical references to a problem with compiling Ruby
with pthread support for HPUX:

http://www.codecomments.com/archive327-2005-4-4...

Although there is also a report here that it works:

http://www.rubyweeklynews.or...

It looks like the "fixed" report comes directly after the "broken" one,
and some of the same people are involved. I would expect that the
current sitaution is "fixed", but I've not been able to find a blazing,
40 point: "it works - go install it" that I can convince people here
with. Could anyone in the know, please confirm the current situation?

Thanks you very much,
Benjohn

4 Answers

Daniel Amelang

Sorry for the late reply.

This isn't any 40 point process, but maybe it'll do:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

mental is the guy that wrote it, and he (apparently) uses ruby on hpux
quite a bit.

Dan Amelang

On 3/1/06, benjohn@fysh.org <benjohn@fysh.org> wrote:

> There are some historical references to a problem with compiling Ruby
> with pthread support for HPUX:
>
> http://www.codecomments.com/archive327-2005-4-4...
>
> Although there is also a report here that it works:
>
> http://www.rubyweeklynews.or...
>
> It looks like the "fixed" report comes directly after the "broken" one,
> and some of the same people are involved. I would expect that the
> current sitaution is "fixed", but I've not been able to find a blazing,
> 40 point: "it works - go install it" that I can convince people here
> with. Could anyone in the know, please confirm the current situation?
>
> Thanks you very much,
> Benjohn

MenTaLguY

Quoting Daniel Amelang <daniel.amelang@gmail.com>:

> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> This isn't any 40 point process, but maybe it'll do:
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
>
> mental is the guy that wrote it, and he (apparently) uses ruby on
> hpux quite a bit.

I don't recall having any problems with pthreads, but then I haven't
been trying to use extensions which actively require them either.

In general HP-UX is a bad platform for building any software which
wasn't written specifically for it. Use something else if you
possibly can.

-mental

Ralph \"PJPizza\" Siegler

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:03:50AM +0900, mental@rydia.net wrote:

> I don't recall having any problems with pthreads, but then I haven't
> been trying to use extensions which actively require them either.
>
> In general HP-UX is a bad platform for building any software which
> wasn't written specifically for it. Use something else if you
> possibly can.
>
> -mental

ugly is right, but I had even more issues than those with HPUX 11v2 on
itanium2, with ucontext_t not containing the members it used to on
the HP9000. Finally gave up and wrote project stuff in Perl :P

Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler

MenTaLguY

Quoting "Ralph \"PJPizza\" Siegler" <pjpizza@rsiegler.org>:

> ugly is right, but I had even more issues than those with HPUX
> 11v2 on itanium2, with ucontext_t not containing the members it
> used to on the HP9000.

Well, that part's not anyone's fault really. ucontext_t is very
architecture-dependent. Any code that's got to poke around in it
is almost inevitably going to have to be adjusted to accomodate new
platforms.

-mental