install problem:: rdoc/ruport from gem

jansenh

2/22/2006 7:36:00 PM

Hi group. More newbie stuff...

I have the above mentioned problem - ruport fails while installing from
gem.... ruby(1.8.3/ubuntu) says "no such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc". I
have tried to gem rdoc as well, --remote.... Then gem says: "could not
find rdoc in repository".

rdoc appears to be the problem, not ruport itself

So far I have :
- apt-get installed ruby-1.8.3
- manually installed rubygems-0.8.11.tgz
- gem install rubygems-update

and my gem is (gem -v) 0.8.11

HELP!

--------------------
Be kind, I am just a poor VisualStudio/C# guy, used to have everything
working by clicking 'next' - 'next' -'next', and then adding a
25-letter license code. This is my first attempt with gems. Its also my
first time with ruby on Linux (ubuntu). I have a little experience with
ruby-1.8.2 on winXP and osX only... but only out-of-the-box stuff.
Never used or installed anything else than the default package. Gems
seems like a very neat approach, appart from me not being able to
install my particular package this particular time ;-)

regards, Henning
Norway

4 Answers

Logan Capaldo

On Feb 22, 2006, at 2:38 PM, jansenh wrote:

> Hi group. More newbie stuff...
>
> I have the above mentioned problem - ruport fails while installing
> from
> gem.... ruby(1.8.3/ubuntu) says "no such file to load -- rdoc/
> rdoc". I
> have tried to gem rdoc as well, --remote.... Then gem says: "could
> not
> find rdoc in repository".
>
> rdoc appears to be the problem, not ruport itself
>
> So far I have :
> - apt-get installed ruby-1.8.3
> - manually installed rubygems-0.8.11.tgz
> - gem install rubygems-update
>
> and my gem is (gem -v) 0.8.11
>
> HELP!
>
> --------------------
> Be kind, I am just a poor VisualStudio/C# guy, used to have everything
> working by clicking 'next' - 'next' -'next', and then adding a
> 25-letter license code. This is my first attempt with gems. Its
> also my
> first time with ruby on Linux (ubuntu). I have a little experience
> with
> ruby-1.8.2 on winXP and osX only... but only out-of-the-box stuff.
> Never used or installed anything else than the default package. Gems
> seems like a very neat approach, appart from me not being able to
> install my particular package this particular time ;-)
>
> regards, Henning
> Norway

I think you want to do something like
apt-get install ruby18-doc, I'm not sure I'm not on Debian anymore.
Alternatively, just install ruby from source.

Gregory Brown

On 2/22/06, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Logan Capaldo <logancapaldo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 22, 2006, at 2:38 PM, jansenh wrote:
> >
> > > Hi group. More newbie stuff...
> > >
> > > I have the above mentioned problem - ruport fails while installing
> > > from
> > > gem.... ruby(1.8.3/ubuntu) says "no such file to load -- rdoc/
> > > rdoc". I
> > > have tried to gem rdoc as well, --remote.... Then gem says: "could
> > > not
> > > find rdoc in repository".
>
> It's just sudo gem install rdoc.

whoops! sudo apt-get install rdoc

Gregory Brown

On 2/22/06, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It's just sudo gem install rdoc.
>
> whoops! sudo apt-get install rdoc

George Ogata

"jansenh" <henning.jansen@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi group. More newbie stuff...
>
> I have the above mentioned problem - ruport fails while installing from
> gem.... ruby(1.8.3/ubuntu) says "no such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc". I
> have tried to gem rdoc as well, --remote.... Then gem says: "could not
> find rdoc in repository".
>
> rdoc appears to be the problem, not ruport itself
>
> So far I have :
> - apt-get installed ruby-1.8.3
> - manually installed rubygems-0.8.11.tgz
> - gem install rubygems-update
>
> and my gem is (gem -v) 0.8.11
>
> HELP!

Unfortunately, Debian's distribution of ruby kinda sucks. What
they've done is taken the ruby source -- that thing usually accepted
as "standard ruby" -- and chopped it up into nearly 30 packages.
You've installed only one: ruby. There's been much discussion/cursing
about this here before. I recommend installing all these packages to
save you further grief down the line.

To find them, install the grep-dctrl package and do:

grep-dctrl -s Binary ruby-defaults /var/lib/apt/lists/*Sources

(Note that for this to work, you'll need a deb-src line in
/etc/apt/sources.list . e.g.:

deb-src http://http.us.debian.... unstable main contrib non-free

Don't forget to run `apt-get update' if you add this line.)