Re: rubynuby - client side Ruby?

james_b

2/22/2006 4:48:00 AM

Tony Mobily wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unless you are planning on developing for an intranet where you'd have
> COMPLETE control over the clients' configuration, I very much doubt
> that it would be a good idea to use Ruby instead of Javascript.
>
> I am also not quite sure there are browsers out there which implement
> Ruby as a scripting language, or if it's even possible to write an
> extension for Mozilla/Netscape that adds Ruby support to the client
> (but I might be wrong).
>
> I googled about it a little while ago, and didn't find it!

I believe you can use ActiveScript Ruby for this, but it requires that
the client use IE and have ActiveScript Ruby installed.

You are likely better off using modern JavaScript (e.g. DHTML) to
interact with Ruby business logic running on a Web server.

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jame... - Playing with Better Toys
http://www.30seco... - Building Better Tools

4 Answers

Tony Mobily

>> Unless you are planning on developing for an intranet where you'd
>> have COMPLETE control over the clients' configuration, I very
>> much doubt that it would be a good idea to use Ruby instead of
>> Javascript.
>> I am also not quite sure there are browsers out there which
>> implement Ruby as a scripting language, or if it's even possible
>> to write an extension for Mozilla/Netscape that adds Ruby
>> support to the client (but I might be wrong).
>> I googled about it a little while ago, and didn't find it!
>
> I believe you can use ActiveScript Ruby for this, but it requires
> that the client use IE and have ActiveScript Ruby installed.

Out of curiosity... can you give me a link about this one?
I looked and looked...

> You are likely better off using modern JavaScript (e.g. DHTML) to
> interact with Ruby business logic running on a Web server.

I agree!

Merc.

james_b

Tony Mobily wrote:

> Out of curiosity... can you give me a link about this one?
> I looked and looked...

ActiveScriptRuby 1.8.4.1

http://arton.hp.infos...

--
James Britt

"A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
- Len Bullard

julian.kamil@gmail.com

When completed, Pandora (http://pandora.rub...) will allow Ruby
scripting on the browser without requiring any client-side extensions.

The idea is to mark certain Pandora pages as scriptable, and then use
ERB to execute the embedded code in a sandbox on the server. The
effect is that the end user (or "programmer") does not have to be on
the server to code dynamic extensions / plugins for the system. All
they need to do is edit the page using the Wiki editor form to enter
Ruby code into the page. The safety of this approach will depend
heavily on how the sandbox is implemented and what functions it
provide.

On a longer term, something like Scriptaculous can be integrated on the
server as well so that client side Javascript code can be callable from
Pandora Box code written in Ruby--no Javascript programming required.
No client side extensions are required--just use a plain old browser to
create dynamic Web pages.

Best regards,

Julian I. Kamil <julian.kamil@gmail.com>

Clayton Smith

using JavaScript is definitely a good idea.. there is also ruby.js
which was written by flrgr.

"This is a port of some of Ruby's standard library to JavaScript. It
shows that JavaScript is indeed a well-thought out language (even if
it's standard library is quite cumbersome). The fact that pretty much
everything is based on other components clearly without duplicating
logic should make this interesting.
Note that there are some differences between this and Ruby, especially
that Hash#each yields value,key instead of key,value"

related links:
http://www.advogato.org/pro...
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
http://www.openjsan.org/doc/f/fl/flgr/ruby...