Using RMagick to extract IPTC data from JPEG file

Jérémy

2/21/2006 2:01:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Ruby and RMagick. I want to extract IPTC
information from JPEG files. Elements that I've already found are :
>From RMagick, iptc_profile :
http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/imageattrs.html#ip...

And

This, but it doesn't seem to work for :
http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-users/2004-July/0...

Anyone can give me some information ?

Thank you all.

11 Answers

Tim Hunter

Send a JPEG with an IPTC profile in it to rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org
and I'll take a look at it.

Jérémy

Before sending you an image, I want to try by myself :)

Can you just give me some indications on how-to achieve such a process
in Ruby with RMagick ? (if RMagick implements such features)

What I want is extracting some of these information : caption,
headline, copyright_string, etc.

Thank you,
Jérémy

Tim Hunter

RMagick simply provides an interface to the ImageMagick API. The doc
for the iptc_profile attribute tells you everything I know about it. If
you send me an example image I will try it myself and communicate with
the ImageMagick developers if necessary.

Jérémy

It's Ok, I've just found it!

RMagick can access IPTC values, via the method
get_exif_by_entry([name]).

That was too easy! :D

Thank you for your proposale!

Jérémy

Jérémy

Oups! I was wrong finally. get_exif_by_entry only returns EXIF
information, eheh dumb! :D

So, is there any way with RMagick to extract, keywords, city, province,
country, etc.

Jérémy

Magnus

Jérémy wrote:
> So, is there any way with RMagick to extract, keywords, city, province,
> country, etc.
The iptc_profile attribute of the Image class. (see post of rmagick!)

Jan

btw: rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org is the official e-mail address for the
RMagick project. They want to help you.

Jérémy

I'm currently working on it! Writing a class to format the binary IPTC
string returned by RMagick.

Jérémy

rfischer

Tankfixer <paul.carrier@gmail.c00m> wrote:
>In article <4e5a03c0$0$2119$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>, - Ray Fischer
>rfischer@sonic.net spouted !
>>
>> Tankfixer <paul.carrier@gmail.c00m> wrote:
>> > - Ray Fischer rfischer@sonic.net spouted !

>> >Tobacco subsidies.. while taxing it in a vain attempt to halt smoking...
>>
>> They've been around for decades and amount to about 0.005% of the
>> federal budget.
>
>Oh well that makes it ok to continue to squander the money.

Wrong again, dumbass. I asked you to back up your claim of "insane
spending". You failed to do so.

>> >In 2007, the U.S. Agriculture Department paid $1.1 billion in farm
>> >subsidies to 170,000 dead people.
>>
>> And there's another example of why rightards cannot be trusted to get
>> anything right. The story actually is about a billion distributed
>> over seven years. Not in 2007.
>
>And you don't care about the 1.1 Billion wasted.

And you're a lying rightard.

>> >15 agencies regulating food safety...
>>
>> Which agencies and how much does it cost?
>>
>> >20 seperate ones "helping" the homeless.
>> >
>> >It's nearly an endless list of stupidity in government.
>>
>> All you do is find piddling little screwups. It's not "insane
>> spending" at all.
>>
>> >http://www.gao.gov/products/GA...
>>
>> In the US health insurance companies charge Americans about
>> $200,000,000,000 a year for bureaucratic overhead. Each company has
>> it's own codes for each medical procedure and every doctor and
>> hospital has to hire staff to encode the information for each of
>> several companies.
>
>Overhead required by federal law.

Rightard rule #1: lie, lie again, lie more, lie about lying.

>> Rightards, in a fit of stupidity, insist that that's the best way to
>> go. It's better to let corporations run things and pay twice as much
>> than go to a single-payer system.
>>
>> And, what's worse, you whine about government which you can control
>> and blindly accept corporation power which you cannot control.

rfischer@sonic.net | The new GOP ideal

Tankfixer

In article <4e5a9367$0$2204$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>, - Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net spouted !

> Tankfixer <paul.carrier@gmail.c00m> wrote:
> >In article <4e5a03c0$0$2119$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>, - Ray Fischer
> >rfischer@sonic.net spouted !

> >> They've been around for decades and amount to about 0.005% of the
> >> federal budget.
> >
> >Oh well that makes it ok to continue to squander the money.
>
> Wrong again, dumbass. I asked you to back up your claim of "insane
> spending". You failed to do so.

So you think it makes sense to give tabacco subsidies while also saying
you want people to stop smoking ?

> >> And there's another example of why rightards cannot be trusted to get
> >> anything right. The story actually is about a billion distributed
> >> over seven years. Not in 2007.
> >
> >And you don't care about the 1.1 Billion wasted.
>
> And you're a lying rightard.

I'll note your inability to adress the point.