Re: Errors involving the number -517611318 driving me mad

Bill Kelly

From: "Michael Daines" <michael.daines@gmail.com>

> I keep getting strange intermittent errors in various places with
> ruby. At present, I haven't been able to identify when this happens
> or really when it started happening. (Though I think it may have
> something to do with installing 1.8.3, then not wanting to deal with
> the early incompatibilities with Ruby on Rails, and then removing
> that, and installing 1.8.2 again.)
>
> The errors look like this:
>
> undefined method `include?' for -517611318:Fixnum
>
> It always happens with the number -517611318, and I can't reproduce
> it at will. The only reference to this I can find on the internet is
> someone else's page that was indexed by google and had the same
> error. See this search:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ruby+%22-517611318:Fixnum%22&ie=UTF-8&am...

Anyone know whether this is still an issue? I see blog posts
about it as recently as a month ago, but I *thought* I recalled
some mention of it being fixed recently.

I'd love to know if this was ever resolved. I'm currently
building 1.8.4 on OS X to embed into our C++ application, and
I'd like to build with whatever compiler version and/or patches
are needed to avoid this problem.

Thanks!

Bill

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Feb 20, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Kent Sibilev wrote:

> On 2/20/06, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> From: "Michael Daines" <michael.daines@gmail.com>
>>>
>>> I keep getting strange intermittent errors in various places with
>>> ruby. At present, I haven't been able to identify when this happens
>>> or really when it started happening. (Though I think it may have
>>> something to do with installing 1.8.3, then not wanting to deal with
>>> the early incompatibilities with Ruby on Rails, and then removing
>>> that, and installing 1.8.2 again.)
>>>
>>> The errors look like this:
>>>
>>> undefined method `include?' for -517611318:Fixnum
>>>
>>> It always happens with the number -517611318, and I can't reproduce
>>> it at will. The only reference to this I can find on the internet is
>>> someone else's page that was indexed by google and had the same
>>> error. See this search:
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&am...
>>> 22-517611318:Fixnum%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
>>
>> Anyone know whether this is still an issue? I see blog posts
>> about it as recently as a month ago, but I *thought* I recalled
>> some mention of it being fixed recently.
>>
>> I'd love to know if this was ever resolved. I'm currently
>> building 1.8.4 on OS X to embed into our C++ application, and
>> I'd like to build with whatever compiler version and/or patches
>> are needed to avoid this problem.
>
> The solution was to switch back to gcc 3.3

No, the problem was much, much less prevalent on gcc 3.3. The
problem has been reported with gcc 3.3 as well.

> I'm not sure that it was fixed for gcc 4.0

The root problem might be [ruby-core:7305].

The version of GCC merely tickles whatever the real bug is.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...

http://trackmap.rob...

Bill Kelly

From: "Eric Hodel" <drbrain@segment7.net>

> On Feb 20, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Kent Sibilev wrote:
>
>> On 2/20/06, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd love to know if this was ever resolved. I'm currently
>>> building 1.8.4 on OS X to embed into our C++ application, and
>>> I'd like to build with whatever compiler version and/or patches
>>> are needed to avoid this problem.
>>
>> The solution was to switch back to gcc 3.3
>
> No, the problem was much, much less prevalent on gcc 3.3. The
> problem has been reported with gcc 3.3 as well.
>
>> I'm not sure that it was fixed for gcc 4.0
>
> The root problem might be [ruby-core:7305].
>
> The version of GCC merely tickles whatever the real bug is.

Ah... rats, thanks.

As a followup, then: Has this ever been seen on a non-ppc
architecture build?

Thanks,

Bill