Re: Classes and OO design - help

Dave Cantrell

2/20/2006 6:28:00 PM

Tony Mobily wrote:
>> I'd say read through the Gang of Four and Refactoring,
>
> Woops... I've lost you here. Are you talking about one specific book? Or
> two books?
> There are quite a few books which have a title that starts with
> "refactoring", and I couldn't find any with "Gang of four"...!
> What I am really after, is a book with a list of common problems and
> common patterns, so that I can just apply the one that fits my design.
> Something Ruby-oriented would be _perfect_!

* Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (aka
"the Gang of Four book")

This is the book that basically started the software patterns movement.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201633612/102-0783346-4510536?v=glance&am...

* Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201485672/102-0783346-4510536?v=glance&am...

* Example Design Patterns in Ruby
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ExampleDesignPatt...

I need to bookmark that last one, and buy the other two myself... :)

1 Answer

Gene Tani

Dave Cantrell wrote:
> Tony Mobily wrote:
> >> I'd say read through the Gang of Four and Refactoring,
> >
> > Woops... I've lost you here. Are you talking about one specific book? Or
> > two books?
> > There are quite a few books which have a title that starts with
> > "refactoring", and I couldn't find any with "Gang of four"...!
> > What I am really after, is a book with a list of common problems and
> > common patterns, so that I can just apply the one that fits my design.
> > Something Ruby-oriented would be _perfect_!
>
> * Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (aka
> "the Gang of Four book")
>
> This is the book that basically started the software patterns movement.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201633612/102-0783346-4510536?v=glance&am...
>
> * Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201485672/102-0783346-4510536?v=glance&am...
>
> * Example Design Patterns in Ruby
> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ExampleDesignPatt...
>

> I need to bookmark that last one, and buy the other two myself... :)

i prefer Head 1st Design patterns (Oreilly) and Shalloway/Trott DP
explained (i think that's waht it's called).

Herrington's bit is very good:
http://www.artima.com/rubycs/articles/modular_apis_with...

this has potential
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/cat.rhtml?category_major=Library;category_minor=Design%...