Re: Gtk and root window

Detlef Reichl

2/18/2006 9:26:00 PM

Am Sonntag, den 19.02.2006, 05:19 +0900 schrieb Eustaquio Rangel de
Oliveira J:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi, thanks for your quick answer!
>
> > with
> > Gdk::Window.default_root_window
> > you get the root window, which you can use with all
> > Gdk drawing
> > functions.
>
> I'm kind of new on this Ruby graphics thing, I'm
> searching for some examples but I'm not finding some
> very clear.
> Could you please show me how to draw a rectangle on
> the screen (on root window or even on a gtk window)?
> If I have a starting point will be easier to go on and
> not bore you more with this kind of thing. :-)

require 'gtk2'

Gtk.init

win = Gdk::Window.default_root_window

gc = Gdk::GC.new win
win.draw_rectangle gc, true, 100, 100, 300, 400

Gtk.main

Hi,

i don't think that you will get much of it, if you don't understand how
X drawing works.

To get into the drawing concepts of Gdk the "X lib programming manual"
is the best starting point, even if it is quite hard. I don't know of a
better tutorial.

Cheers
detlef