Passing a proc as block to a method from a C extension

Dominik Bathon

I am looking for a way to do the equivalent of the following ruby function
in a C extension:

def foo(my_proc)
bar(&my_proc)
end

(and it should also work if bar is instance_eval or module_eval)

I couldn't find a way to do this, the only idea I have is to do something
like:

def foo(my_proc)
bar { |arg| my_proc.call(arg) }
end

This can be done using rb_iterate, but it obviously doesn't work with
instance_eval and module_eval.

Any ideas?

Dominik

2 Answers

Yukihiro Matsumoto

HI,

In message "Re: Passing a proc as block to a method from a C extension"
on Sun, 19 Feb 2006 03:56:52 +0900, "Dominik Bathon" <dbatml@gmx.de> writes:

|I am looking for a way to do the equivalent of the following ruby function
|in a C extension:
|
|def foo(my_proc)
| bar(&my_proc)
|end
|
|(and it should also work if bar is instance_eval or module_eval)

Currently there's no good way, since no one has complained loudly
before. Let me think about your request.

matz.

Dominik Bathon

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:01:28 +0100, Yukihiro Matsumoto
<matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> HI,
>
> In message "Re: Passing a proc as block to a method from a C extension"
> on Sun, 19 Feb 2006 03:56:52 +0900, "Dominik Bathon" <dbatml@gmx.de>
> writes:
>
> |I am looking for a way to do the equivalent of the following ruby
> function
> |in a C extension:
> |
> |def foo(my_proc)
> | bar(&my_proc)
> |end
> |
> |(and it should also work if bar is instance_eval or module_eval)
>
> Currently there's no good way, since no one has complained loudly
> before. Let me think about your request.

Ok, thanks. That's what I thought.

I would like to have a function like

VALUE rb_iterate_proc(VALUE (*it_proc)(), VALUE data1, VALUE proc);

that would work like block_pass().

Btw. could we also get a version of rb_iter_break that breaks with a value
instead of just nil?

Dominik