Re: Ruby TK GUI question

dperkins

2/17/2006 6:32:00 PM

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a Ruby GUI TK application where the top-most portion of the
> screen is a line of static menu buttons. I would like the remaining lower
> portion of the screen to be dynamic - as an example, one of the top static
> buttons is pressed, in response to that, another window appears in the
> dynamic area where someone can press more buttons, someone presses on of
> those, which then draws a data window, erasing the window which had the
> buttons, then someone closes the data window which brings the user back to
> the window which was drawn in response to the button press from the static
> button in the top portion of the screen.
>
> Any references to Ruby TK function names would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Harry

Are you looking for a new window that you can move around, or one embedded
in your dynamic menu?

You can use TkTopLevel for a new window. If you want it embedded, there
are a few attributes you could use with pack or grid. "before" will let
you insert a widget before a specified widget. "after" does the
opposite. You can use the forget method to remove it from the packing
order when you are done.