[ANN] Mongrel 0.3.4 -- Win32 Gems/Better CGIWrapper

Zed A. Shaw

2/16/2006 7:38:00 AM

Hello Everyone,

Today's Mongrel is the first release to sport spiffy pre-built win32 gems.
This comes thanks to Wilson Bilkovich donating some Rakefile magic that does
the stuff for me. Everyone who uses win32 should send Wilson a thank-you
since without him you'd be a victim of my laziness for at least a few more
weeks.

People who are testing and trying Mongrel out should grab this release, but
please expect it to have bugs as there's pretty fresh code in it. It's been
tested but there's still a few situations to figure out (like redirects from
behind a proxy).

== What Is Mongrel

Mongrel is a fast HTTP library and server for Ruby that is intended for
hosting Ruby web applications of any kind using plain HTTP rather than
FastCGI or SCGI. It is framework agnostic and already supports Ruby On
Rails, Og+Nitro, and Camping frameworks. (Is anyone else getting tired of
this?)

You can get information on Mongrel and look at people's dogs at:

* http://mongrel.ruby...

== Getting Mongrel

You can go to the project page to get the source or gem downloads manually,
or you can just do:

$ gem install mongrel (people who have it already can do gem update)

== Changes

This release is mostly about getting a win32 gem out for people to try.
Hopefully it all works right, but let me know.

There is also a much improved and refined CGIWrapper for getting Rails to
work right, and this has been tested with eXPlainPMT as well as Typo.
Redirects work, forms, etc. What doesn't work right yet is redirecting when
you're behind a proxy, and probably anything related to file uploads.
That'll come next release.

There's also a few little bug fixes.

== Next Release

The 0.4 goal is to get Rails support rock solid. To get there I've started
installing various Rails applications and will use Watir to run automated
tests. Anyone who has some Watir tests floating around that they'd like to
donate will be my friend.

I've also got a plan for the mysterious caching thing I've mentioned in the
past. I'll be writing a little document and asking for feedback as it's
quite weird.

Otherwise, please test this 0.3.4 release and let me know what you hit.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.ze...

5 Answers

drunkvoodoo@gmail.com

Hi

Great work!
Just one question: is there a specific reason why the gem for 0.3.4
requires ruby 1.8.4?

_blackdog

hi Zed

thanks for the new version!

i'm using rails webservices from within a controller, specifically I'm
doing this to get a remote object

def remote(user)
account_server =
"http://localhost:#{$site_spec["account_server"]}/user/api/RPC"
ActionWebService::Client::XmlRpc.new(UserApi, account_server)
end

where the "account_server" port is actually an ssh tunnel so it is
remote.

anyway works when account_server URL is a webrick hosted server. With
mongrel I get the correct request/response in terms of the xmlrpc
payload, but I get the following error displayed on the client (i.e. in
this case the rails controller)

Wrong content-type:

now, this is with 0.34 and it does not use the proxy as in my last
post.
i think this error is an improvement over 0.33 too, because in that
case I was getting "wrong size" errors or something like that, with a
print out of the given and expected bytes.

thanks for any help

BD

Zed A. Shaw

Comments below...

On 2/16/06 5:18 AM, "_blackdog" <rmt512@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi Zed
>
> thanks for the new version!
>
> i'm using rails webservices from within a controller, specifically I'm
> doing this to get a remote object
>
> def remote(user)
> account_server =
> "http://localhost:#{$site_spec["account_server"]}/user/api/RPC"
> ActionWebService::Client::XmlRpc.new(UserApi, account_server)
> end
>
> where the "account_server" port is actually an ssh tunnel so it is
> remote.

I think I've got this solved and should have it out in the next release.
I'm thinking maybe Sunday for it. Stay tuned and thanks for the testing.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.ze...

Windowwasher

"David Barnett" <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-CD1FC2.08174516092011@news.eternal-
> september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid says...
>
> <snip; I haven't watched a single episode of Big Brother>
>
>> Vampire Diaries (CWN) - Grade: F. See New Shows Poll thread for details.
>> Suffice it to say, I don't care about this show anymore in the least.
>
> I said quite some time back that I won't be watching any more seasons of
> V.D., and it may have been you who replied that you wouldn't either.
>
>> The Mentalist (season finale rerun) - I do love how totally screwed over
>> Grace Van Pelt was by this finale. Heh.
>> And, in watching the last scene again, I am convinced - that *was*
>> Red John. And if they ever trying and retcon that into *not* being Red
>> John down the line, I will probably quit watching "The Mentalist" on the
>> spot.
>> Anyway, looking very much forward to the season premiere of this
>> show.
>
> I only just recently watched the last few episodes of The Mentalist.
> I also think it was the real Red John.
> ISTM that Patrick Jane was making sure of this before he shot him.
>
> Me too re "looking very much forward to the season premiere of this show"
>
>> Recorded for later: Just OLTL, what with "Burn Notice" and "Suits" being
>> over for a while...
>
> I am mystified by OLTL; what does it stand for, please?
>
> --
> David Barnett

One Life to Live, an American daytime soap opera.

David Barnett

In article <j50m8l$mgb$1@dont-email.me>, windowwasher@somewhere.com
says...

> "David Barnett" <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> > In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-CD1FC2.08174516092011@news.eternal-
> > september.org>, ijball-NO_SPAM@mac.invalid says...
> >
> > <snip; I haven't watched a single episode of Big Brother>
> >
> >> Vampire Diaries (CWN) - Grade: F. See New Shows Poll thread for details.
> >> Suffice it to say, I don't care about this show anymore in the least.
> >
> > I said quite some time back that I won't be watching any more seasons of
> > V.D., and it may have been you who replied that you wouldn't either.
> >
> >> The Mentalist (season finale rerun) - I do love how totally screwed over
> >> Grace Van Pelt was by this finale. Heh.
> >> And, in watching the last scene again, I am convinced - that *was*
> >> Red John. And if they ever trying and retcon that into *not* being Red
> >> John down the line, I will probably quit watching "The Mentalist" on the
> >> spot.
> >> Anyway, looking very much forward to the season premiere of this
> >> show.
> >
> > I only just recently watched the last few episodes of The Mentalist.
> > I also think it was the real Red John.
> > ISTM that Patrick Jane was making sure of this before he shot him.
> >
> > Me too re "looking very much forward to the season premiere of this show"
> >
> >> Recorded for later: Just OLTL, what with "Burn Notice" and "Suits" being
> >> over for a while...
> >
> > I am mystified by OLTL; what does it stand for, please?
> >
> > --
> > David Barnett
>
> One Life to Live, an American daytime soap opera.

Many thanks for your reply & the info.

--
David Barnett