Port of Perl's Parse::AFP?

Scott

2/15/2006 5:03:00 PM

Has anyone had the need to port the Perl library Parse::AFP to Ruby?
I'm trying to use the Perl version right now and I'm having some nasty
memory usage issues (iterating through a 21MB AFP file consumes over
1GB of RAM). Since I dont know Perl very well, a Ruby version would
really help me out if it didnt have the same issues.

Thanks,
Scott

2 Answers

Austin Ziegler

On 2/16/06, Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> wrote:> On Feb 15, 2006, at 18:08, Scott wrote:> > Has anyone had the need to port the Perl library Parse::AFP to Ruby?> > I'm trying to use the Perl version right now and I'm having some nasty> > memory usage issues (iterating through a 21MB AFP file consumes over> > 1GB of RAM). Since I dont know Perl very well, a Ruby version would> > really help me out if it didnt have the same issues.> Just as a quick note Parse::AFP was written by Audrey Tang, of Pugs> fame. She said in this interview:>> http://perl.com/lpt/a/2005/03/03/pugs_interview.ht... that the problem in the Perl module was that Perl 5 did not have copy-> on-write by then. She rewrote it in Haskell and the difference in> performance and LOCs was really remarkable.>> I don't know whether this, in her opinion, intrisic limitation is> found in Ruby as of today.Ruby's strings are COW.-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Scott

Not quite sure what you mean?