Mongrel 0.3.2 Strangely Silent

Jim Weirich

2/14/2006 12:35:00 PM

I wanted to check out the latest ruby craze: Mongrel. So I installed
mongrel as a gem, whipped up a small example based on the docs. But no
joy. Running the script shows no output on the terminal and a browser
trying to load the url just keeps spinning the "in-progress" indicator.

Here's the script:

------------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'mongrel'

class SimpleHandler < Mongrel::HttpHandler
def process(request, response)
response.start(200) do |head,out|
head["Content-Type"] = "text/plain"
out.write("hello!\n")

h = Mongrel::HttpServer.new("0.0.0.0", "3030")
h.register("/test", SimpleHandler.new)
h.register("/files", Mongrel::DirHandler.new("."))
h.run.join

The web addess I tried was http://localhost:3030. Also tried
http://traken:3030 (where traken is the name of the host). I also tried
using "localhost" explicitly in the script instead of "0.0.0.0".

What am I missing here?

--
-- Jim Weirich

Jim Weirich

Jim Weirich wrote:
> The web addess I tried was http://localhost:3030. Also tried
> http://traken:3030 (where traken is the name of the host). I also tried
> using "localhost" explicitly in the script instead of "0.0.0.0".

Just to be clear ... I also tried the http://localhost:3030/files and
http://localhost:3030/test too. Debugging prints added to the "process"
method in the script reveals that it never gets called.

--
-- Jim Weirich

Zed A. Shaw

Hey Jim,

Yeah, looks like I didn't regression test the new timeout code outside of
Ruby on Rails. Doh!

Your stuff should run if you do ruby -rtimeout for now. I'm posting a new
release as we speak to include this one-line fix.

Thanks for catching it.

Zed