Re: couple quick questions about YARV

David Vallner

2/13/2006 4:43:00 AM

Dna Pondelok 13 Február 2006 05:32 Yukihiro Matsumoto napísal:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: couple quick questions about YARV"
>
> on Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:23:24 +0900, "stijn" <stijndesaeger@gmail.com>
writes:
> |what speed-up can realistically be expected?
>
> YARV runs much faster on calls and basic operations. But it runs
> slower on eval()'ing. Ko1 is now working on it, I think.
>
> matz.

I wonder if that will be an incentive for people to use standard reflection
features instead of eval hacks whenever possible, the latter seem to crop out
as faster in trivial benchmarks than the former for me right now.

Is something like smalltalkish "clean" blocks being pondered to make calls
like define_method less prone to leak memory keeping local scopes from being
GCed?

David Vallner

1 Answer

Christian Neukirchen

David Vallner <david@vallner.net> writes:

> From: David Vallner <david@vallner.net>
> Subject: Re: couple quick questions about YARV
> To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:43:07 +0900
>
> Dna Pondelok 13 Február 2006 05:32 Yukihiro Matsumoto napísal:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In message "Re: couple quick questions about YARV"
>>
>> on Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:23:24 +0900, "stijn" <stijndesaeger@gmail.com>
> writes:
>> |what speed-up can realistically be expected?
>>
>> YARV runs much faster on calls and basic operations. But it runs
>> slower on eval()'ing. Ko1 is now working on it, I think.
>>
>> matz.
>
> I wonder if that will be an incentive for people to use standard reflection
> features instead of eval hacks whenever possible, the latter seem to crop out
> as faster in trivial benchmarks than the former for me right now.

*hope*

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...