Irb problem in OSX

Sam Smoot

2/13/2006 12:19:00 AM

I'm not sure how I got into this situation being a Mac newbie, but I
think it started after running one of the various "fix ruby on OS X"
scripts.

The problem is, everytime I click on my Terminal shortcut on the dock,
it jumps directly into irb. I have to type "exit" to go back to the
bash shell.

Anyone know how I might fix this?

6 Answers

James Gray

On Feb 12, 2006, at 6:23 PM, ssmoot@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm not sure how I got into this situation being a Mac newbie, but I
> think it started after running one of the various "fix ruby on OS X"
> scripts.
>
> The problem is, everytime I click on my Terminal shortcut on the dock,
> it jumps directly into irb. I have to type "exit" to go back to the
> bash shell.
>
> Anyone know how I might fix this?

Check for something goofy in the file ~/.profile.

James Edward Gray II

Tim Hunter

ssmoot@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how I got into this situation being a Mac newbie, but I
> think it started after running one of the various "fix ruby on OS X"
> scripts.
>
> The problem is, everytime I click on my Terminal shortcut on the dock,
> it jumps directly into irb. I have to type "exit" to go back to the
> bash shell.
>
> Anyone know how I might fix this?

Is is possible that you added 'irb' to one of your shell start-up
scripts, such as .profile, .bashrc or .bash_profile?

Sam Smoot

I don't see anything in ~/.profile except some export line to set the
path. I'm not sure where .bashrc or .bash_profile would be located...

David Vallner

Dna Pondelok 13 Február 2006 03:48 ssmoot@gmail.com napísal:
> I don't see anything in ~/.profile except some export line to set the
> path. I'm not sure where .bashrc or .bash_profile would be located...

In the same place as .profile. It's nothing strange not to have any of those.

David Vallner

Sam Smoot

Yeah, I don't have 'em then I guess.

I think it must be something like that. If I'm quick enough, I can
clearly see "clear; irb" when I open a shell just before it drops into
irb.

I just don't know how to find out where it's coming from...

Thanks for the help btw.

Tim Hunter

ssmoot@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah, I don't have 'em then I guess.
>
> I think it must be something like that. If I'm quick enough, I can
> clearly see "clear; irb" when I open a shell just before it drops into
> irb.
>
> I just don't know how to find out where it's coming from...
>
> Thanks for the help btw.

The section called "INVOCATION" in the bash man page describes all the
scripts that bash can read during startup, and where it looks for them.
Keep in mind that these scripts can call other scripts.

Good hunting!