Rake Friday?

Bil Kleb

2/12/2006 1:01:00 AM

Is there a Friday,

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/fr...

on Rake in the works?

I want one.

Later,
--
Bil, http://fun3d.lar...
17 Answers

James Gray

On Feb 11, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

> Is there a Friday,
>
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/fr...
>
> on Rake in the works?
>
> I want one.

That is a great idea. :)

James Edward Gray II

Marcel Molina Jr.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:12:38AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:
>
> >Is there a Friday,
> >
> > http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/fr...
> >
> >on Rake in the works?
> >
> >I want one.
>
> That is a great idea. :)

Yes. Please. But don't let that get in the way, Jim, of you writing a Friday
on DSLs ;)

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

Bill Guindon

On 2/11/06, Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:12:38AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:
> >
> > >Is there a Friday,
> > >
> > > http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/fr...
> > >
> > >on Rake in the works?
> > >
> > >I want one.
> >
> > That is a great idea. :)
>
> Yes. Please. But don't let that get in the way, Jim, of you writing a Friday
> on DSLs ;)

I'll take one of each.

> marcel
> --
> Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".

Edward Kenworthy

Hi All

I've been programming for more years than I care to remember and am
enjoying programming in Ruby (especially on Rails). So far I've found
nothing "new" (to me) in Ruby, with the exception of the lisp-like
features and that's something I'd really like to explore.
Unfortunately, unless I've overlooked it, neither the pick-axe book
nor "the ruby way" seem to cover this. I'm particularly interested
in which common problems these features let me solve in a more
elegant and concise way than using regular structured/oo approaches.

Anyone able to point me to a resource please?

Edward

james_b

Edward Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've been programming for more years than I care to remember and am
> enjoying programming in Ruby (especially on Rails). So far I've found
> nothing "new" (to me) in Ruby, with the exception of the lisp-like
> features and that's something I'd really like to explore.

Could you explain what you mean by "lisp-like features"?

Also, you may want to search the list archives for "lisp", as there have
been a number of threads related to it.

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"

Edward Kenworthy

Thanks for all that David :-)

On 12 Feb 2006, at 18:41, David Vallner wrote:

> Dna Nedela 12 Február 2006 18:38 Edward Kenworthy napísal:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I've been programming for more years than I care to remember and am
>> enjoying programming in Ruby (especially on Rails). So far I've found
>> nothing "new" (to me) in Ruby, with the exception of the lisp-like
>> features and that's something I'd really like to explore.
>> Unfortunately, unless I've overlooked it, neither the pick-axe book
>> nor "the ruby way" seem to cover this. I'm particularly interested
>> in which common problems these features let me solve in a more
>> elegant and concise way than using regular structured/oo approaches.
>>
>> Anyone able to point me to a resource please?
>>
>> Edward
>
> Well, Ruby is a strongly derivative language, there's not THAT much
> in terms
> of new and exciting features around. It's more about picking out
> which you
> think are nifty and which not.
>
> As for the lisp-like operations, I'd say the blocks as lexical
> closures are a
> notable one. Not very often used as such, but they are somewhat
> useful when
> you want to develop your own control structures, As Seen In
> Smalltalk (tm).
>
> I'd also put collection mapping / filtering using blocks as one.
> Which pretty
> much reduces the messy nested loops that you end up with when
> trying to do
> this in lessay Java into in my opinion much neater method chains.
> And then
> there's also Enumerable#inject, the swiss knife of collection
> operations,
> which lets you do pretty much everything. Cf. my favourite #inject
> example, a
> very cryptic O(n)n factorial:
>
> class Integer
> def factorial
> (1..self).inject(1){|m, n| m * n}
>
> I also think strongtyping.rb lets you do something along the lines
> of poor
> man's multimethods. Or rather method overloading based on runtime
> types
> instead of compile-time.
>
> David Vallner

James Gray

On Feb 12, 2006, at 11:38 AM, Edward Kenworthy wrote:

> Anyone able to point me to a resource please?

I'm currently reading Higher-Order Perl by Mark Jason Dominus, which
is really just a functional programming techniques handbook for
Perl. I'm writing about what I'm finding along the way, and
translating much of the code. It probably makes a lot more sense if
you read the book first, but here are the links, in case they help:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/17/recu...
callbacks
http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/17/dispa...
http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/20/ca...
memoization
http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/31/...
chapters-4-and-5

I'll have the infinite streams article up soon...

James Edward Gray II

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Ruby's lisp features."
on Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:38:18 +0900, Edward Kenworthy <edward@kenworthy.info> writes:

|I've been programming for more years than I care to remember and am
|enjoying programming in Ruby (especially on Rails). So far I've found
|nothing "new" (to me) in Ruby, with the exception of the lisp-like
|features and that's something I'd really like to explore.

|Anyone able to point me to a resource please?

Ruby is a language designed in the following steps:

* take a simple lisp language (like one prior to CL).
* remove macros, s-expression.
* add simple object system (much simpler than CLOS).
* add blocks, inspired by higher order functions.
* add methods found in Smalltalk.
* add functionality found in Perl (in OO way).

So, Ruby was a Lisp originally, in theory.
Let's call it MatzLisp from now on. ;-)

matz.

james_b

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> So, Ruby was a Lisp originally, in theory.
> Let's call it MatzLisp from now on. ;-)

Matth

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"

David Vallner

Dna Pondelok 13 Február 2006 05:43 Yukihiro Matsumoto napísal:
> Ruby is a language designed in the following steps:
>
> * take a simple lisp language (like one prior to CL).
> * remove macros, s-expression.
> * add simple object system (much simpler than CLOS).
> * add blocks, inspired by higher order functions.
> * add methods found in Smalltalk.
> * add functionality found in Perl (in OO way).

You forgot adding onions to taste.

> So, Ruby was a Lisp originally, in theory.
> Let's call it MatzLisp from now on. ;-)

I always thought of it as a Smalltalk / Perl crossbreed. Might be because ST
ripped off the same features of lisp as Ruby does...

MatzLisp... MatzLisp... MatzLisp...
Cor, let's stay with "Ruby", I don't have enough paper tissues to wipe spit
off people if I had to pronounce that ;)

David Vallner