Programming cell phones in Ruby ?

Nuralanur

2/10/2006 6:35:00 PM

Dear all,

I would like to play around with my cell phone a bit ... it understands Java
MIDP1.0 -- is there any way to access this from Ruby ?
I have found JRuby in RAA - can you recommend this for some
very simple game coding or changing ring tones ?

Best regards,

Axel
3 Answers

fred.grott@gmail.com

No its not possible as the J2ME JVms are not tradition or standard JVms
but sized down JVMs with severe access restrictions and the like..

David N. Welton

Nuralanur@aol.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to play around with my cell phone a bit ... it understands Java
> MIDP1.0 -- is there any way to access this from Ruby ?
> I have found JRuby in RAA - can you recommend this for some
> very simple game coding or changing ring tones ?

A language like Ruby is probably a bit big for a cell phone (today's
cell phones, at least). While not as fancy, you might have a look at
Hecl (http://ww...) which is at least a scripting language with
some of the dynamic goodness of Ruby...

--
David N. Welton