[ANN] "Ruby for Rails" in early access release

dblack

Larry Hewitt

First Post wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:09:09 -0400, "CB" <CB@PrayForMe.com> wrote:
>
>> "Larry Hewitt" <larryhewi@comporium.net> wrote in message

>>> Actually, a recent analysis of their claims database by Wellmark Blue
>>> Cross Blue Shield finds that the increasing numbers of tests that doctors
>>> order is the result of self referrals for high profit imaging and
>>> diagnostic equipment.
>>>
>>> They found, for example, that when a practice buys a new CT scanner
>>> referrals for a ct scan go up more than 500% in less than 6 months, all
>>> self-referrals.
>>>
>>> Wellmark found that about 40% of their physician members moved to
>>> self-referral in some form over the last 5 years.
>>>
>>> Twenty years ago practices had their own basic diagnostic equiment ---
>>> x-rays, blood chemistry, and so on, and provided these services as part of
>>> the basic office vist (for an additional fee, of course). Then these
>>> diagnostic services were split off into a separate company, requiring a
>>> referral and at least 1 more office visit payment. Now many practices
>>> refer to have even simple procedures like drawing blood performed. The
>>> worm is turning, the services are coming back to the practice, but they
>>> are now self-referring to rake in extra profit by calling it a second
>>> visit.
>>>
>>> Ironically, even though medical need for this increased testing is hard to
>>> justify they are becoming the new definition of standard care, forcing
>>> more prudent doctors to refer for more tests.
>>>
>>> Even worse, the National Cancer Institute estimates that 1% of cancers are
>>> due to medical imaging, so these greedy doctors are actually causing
>>> thousands of people to get cancer.
>>>
>>> Larry
>> Twenty years ago I went into Centra Care because of a bruised hip. The
>> doctor took an x-ray of my hip and spinal column. The insurance only paid
>> for the hip. I had to pay $300 out of pocket. In order for the doctor to be
>> sure I wasn't hurt beyond my hip, he prudently (CYA) ordered the other
>> x-ray. The insurance company, the greedy bastards made me pay. It was Blue
>> Cross Blue Shield.
>>
>> I switched insurance companies, paid a little more and got a lot more
>> service.
>
> You did WHAT? GASP, you were supposed to do nothing of the sort. You
> were supposed to piss and whine about the big mean insurance company
> and claim you had no choice. How the hell is socialized medicine ever
> gonna take hold in America when jerks like you keep utilizing the free
> market?

The free market got him. He either was too stupid to understand what he
was buying ( a good probability), or the policy was writtne in such a
way that no lay person could understand it (more likely)

All he got hit for is the alleged $300 (I really doubt that, an second
picture wile you were already there 20 years ago usually cost a damn
sight less)

imagine getting hit for a hospital stay because your claim was denied.

Larry