[ANN] Geocoder 0.1.0

Paul Smith

2/8/2006 10:17:00 PM

Geocoder is a library for Ruby developers and a command-line utility
that helps with converting street addresses (U.S. only for now, I'm
afraid) to geographic coordinate pairs, specifically, latitude &
longitude.

http://rubyforge.org/projects...

Read the docs at:

http://geocoder.ruby...

The library is useful for developers who want to incorporate geocoding
into their Ruby applications; the command-line utility, `geocode', is
useful for one-offs, shell scripts, and non-Ruby apps.

The library is a wrapper for various geocoding web services. The two
services currently utilized are 1) Yahoo! Maps Geocoding API, and 2)
geocoder.us (looking your way, GMaps!).

CLI example:

$ geocode "1600 pennsylvania ave nw washington dc"
Latitude: 38.8987
Longitude: -77.037223
Address: 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVE NW
City: WASHINGTON
State: DC
ZIP Code: 20502-0001

-Paul

--
Paul Smith
aim: thaislump

12 Answers

Kent Sibilev

Thank you! I've been looking for something like this.

Kent.

On 2/8/06, Paul Smith <paul@cnt.org> wrote:
> Geocoder is a library for Ruby developers and a command-line utility
> that helps with converting street addresses (U.S. only for now, I'm
> afraid) to geographic coordinate pairs, specifically, latitude &
> longitude.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects...
>
> Read the docs at:
>
> http://geocoder.ruby...
>
> The library is useful for developers who want to incorporate geocoding
> into their Ruby applications; the command-line utility, `geocode', is
> useful for one-offs, shell scripts, and non-Ruby apps.
>
> The library is a wrapper for various geocoding web services. The two
> services currently utilized are 1) Yahoo! Maps Geocoding API, and 2)
> geocoder.us (looking your way, GMaps!).
>
> CLI example:
>
> $ geocode "1600 pennsylvania ave nw washington dc"
> Latitude: 38.8987
> Longitude: -77.037223
> Address: 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVE NW
> City: WASHINGTON
> State: DC
> ZIP Code: 20502-0001
>
> -Paul
>
> --
> Paul Smith
> aim: thaislump
> Center for Neighborhood Technology
> Technology Director, Wireless Community Networks
> Chicago IL, USA

Jeffrey Moss

Hey Paul,

I'm working on a port of the perl Geo::Coder libraries, so you can
host the tiger line data locally and not rely on any web
services. Results may differ from yahoo maps but should be identical
to geocoder.us. I know I've been needing something like this, and I
don't like using too many web services.

No ETA yet though.

-Jeff

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:16:41AM +0900, Paul Smith wrote:
> Geocoder is a library for Ruby developers and a command-line utility
> that helps with converting street addresses (U.S. only for now, I'm
> afraid) to geographic coordinate pairs, specifically, latitude &
> longitude.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects...
>
> Read the docs at:
>
> http://geocoder.ruby...
>
> The library is useful for developers who want to incorporate geocoding
> into their Ruby applications; the command-line utility, `geocode', is
> useful for one-offs, shell scripts, and non-Ruby apps.
>
> The library is a wrapper for various geocoding web services. The two
> services currently utilized are 1) Yahoo! Maps Geocoding API, and 2)
> geocoder.us (looking your way, GMaps!).
>
> CLI example:
>
> $ geocode "1600 pennsylvania ave nw washington dc"
> Latitude: 38.8987
> Longitude: -77.037223
> Address: 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVE NW
> City: WASHINGTON
> State: DC
> ZIP Code: 20502-0001
>
> -Paul
>
> --
> Paul Smith
> aim: thaislump
> Center for Neighborhood Technology
> Technology Director, Wireless Community Networks
> Chicago IL, USA

pjhyett

Wayfaring.com thanks you :-) This appears to be much more flexible
than the system we're currently using (and it's not written in Perl!)

-PJ
http://p...

On 2/8/06, Paul Smith <paul@cnt.org> wrote:
> Geocoder is a library for Ruby developers and a command-line utility
> that helps with converting street addresses (U.S. only for now, I'm
> afraid) to geographic coordinate pairs, specifically, latitude &
> longitude.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects...
>
> Read the docs at:
>
> http://geocoder.ruby...
>
> The library is useful for developers who want to incorporate geocoding
> into their Ruby applications; the command-line utility, `geocode', is
> useful for one-offs, shell scripts, and non-Ruby apps.
>
> The library is a wrapper for various geocoding web services. The two
> services currently utilized are 1) Yahoo! Maps Geocoding API, and 2)
> geocoder.us (looking your way, GMaps!).
>
> CLI example:
>
> $ geocode "1600 pennsylvania ave nw washington dc"
> Latitude: 38.8987
> Longitude: -77.037223
> Address: 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVE NW
> City: WASHINGTON
> State: DC
> ZIP Code: 20502-0001
>
> -Paul
>
> --
> Paul Smith
> aim: thaislump
> Center for Neighborhood Technology
> Technology Director, Wireless Community Networks
> Chicago IL, USA

Dominic Sisneros

Jeff, Do you have a rubyforge project for this?

On 2/8/06, Jeffrey Moss <jeff@opendbms.com> wrote:

> Hey Paul,
>
> I'm working on a port of the perl Geo::Coder libraries, so you can
> host the tiger line data locally and not rely on any web
> services. Results may differ from yahoo maps but should be identical
> to geocoder.us. I know I've been needing something like this, and I
> don't like using too many web services.
>
> No ETA yet though.
>
> -Jeff
>
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:16:41AM +0900, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Geocoder is a library for Ruby developers and a command-line utility
> > that helps with converting street addresses (U.S. only for now, I'm
> > afraid) to geographic coordinate pairs, specifically, latitude &
> > longitude.
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/projects...
> >
> > Read the docs at:
> >
> > http://geocoder.ruby...
> >
> > The library is useful for developers who want to incorporate geocoding
> > into their Ruby applications; the command-line utility, `geocode', is
> > useful for one-offs, shell scripts, and non-Ruby apps.
> >
> > The library is a wrapper for various geocoding web services. The two
> > services currently utilized are 1) Yahoo! Maps Geocoding API, and 2)
> > geocoder.us (looking your way, GMaps!).
> >
> > CLI example:
> >
> > $ geocode "1600 pennsylvania ave nw washington dc"
> > Latitude: 38.8987
> > Longitude: -77.037223
> > Address: 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVE NW
> > City: WASHINGTON
> > State: DC
> > ZIP Code: 20502-0001
> >
> > -Paul
> >
> > --
> > Paul Smith
> > aim: thaislump
> > Center for Neighborhood Technology
> > Technology Director, Wireless Community Networks
> > Chicago IL, USA

netghost

Hey I just thought I'd mention that I'm half heartedly porting the Perl
Shapefile library. We might end up with a nice little collection of
GIS libraries for ruby after all ;)
.adam

Ed Howland

Paul,

Will it eventually be able to do the reverse lookup? Lat/Long to street address?

Ed

On 2/8/06, Paul Smith <paul@cnt.org> wrote:
> Geocoder is a library for Ruby developers and a command-line utility
> that helps with converting street addresses (U.S. only for now, I'm
> afraid) to geographic coordinate pairs, specifically, latitude &
> longitude.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects...
>
> Read the docs at:
>
> http://geocoder.ruby...
>
> The library is useful for developers who want to incorporate geocoding
> into their Ruby applications; the command-line utility, `geocode', is
> useful for one-offs, shell scripts, and non-Ruby apps.
>
> The library is a wrapper for various geocoding web services. The two
> services currently utilized are 1) Yahoo! Maps Geocoding API, and 2)
> geocoder.us (looking your way, GMaps!).
>
> CLI example:
>
> $ geocode "1600 pennsylvania ave nw washington dc"
> Latitude: 38.8987
> Longitude: -77.037223
> Address: 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVE NW
> City: WASHINGTON
> State: DC
> ZIP Code: 20502-0001
>
> -Paul
>
> --
> Paul Smith
> aim: thaislump
> Center for Neighborhood Technology
> Technology Director, Wireless Community Networks
> Chicago IL, USA

Paul Smith

On 2/9/06, Ed Howland <ed.howland@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Will it eventually be able to do the reverse lookup? Lat/Long to street address?
>
> Ed

Hm, I don't know of any system, commercial or otherwise, that does
this. Geocoding is a relatively inexact science to begin with (re:
interpolation of street number ala TIGER/Line), I would be surprised
if anyone's doing this reliably. That said, it could be done if you
massively indexed the lat/lng side and had a best guess algorithm that
used a nearest() function or the like. ... To answer your question,
no, no plans to add that functionality to Geocoder.

By the way, I just pushed a 0.1.1 release to Rubyforge: it fixes a
minor issue with the gem, removing the redundant require statement
after require_gem.

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gro...

-Paul

--
Paul Smith
aim: thaislump
Center for Neighborhood Technology
Technology Director, Wireless Community Networks
Chicago IL, USA

Paul Smith

On 2/8/06, Jeffrey Moss <jeff@opendbms.com> wrote:
> Hey Paul,
>
> I'm working on a port of the perl Geo::Coder libraries, so you can
> host the tiger line data locally and not rely on any web
> services. Results may differ from yahoo maps but should be identical
> to geocoder.us. I know I've been needing something like this, and I
> don't like using too many web services.
>
> No ETA yet though.
>
> -Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Let me know how you fare: I'd like Geocoder to provide the flexibility
to use TIGER/Line "offline" if users want it. Perhaps we can
collaborate.

-Paul

--
Paul Smith
mobile: (773) 934-4607
aim: thaislump
Center for Neighborhood Technology
Technology Director, Wireless Community Networks
Chicago IL, USA

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

I think Yahoo supports Canada, so would the library with the yahoo option
support Canada?

Thanks,
Nick

--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Jeffrey Moss

Perhaps we should start a rubyforge project and work together on this,
as Dominic suggested. Having a nice set of well coded Geo libraries
in ruby would be AWESOME!

-Jeff