garbage collection

Tom Allison

2/7/2006 4:39:00 PM

I haven't a copy of the code yet but a friend of mine was bemoaning his
efforts to create an application in ruby (conversion from python) and
ran into a problem.

He discards a LOT of objects during the final steps of his application
run. This part of the process ultimately results in a crash every time
he runs it.

Is there something that can be recommended to help with garbage
collection?

2 Answers

Robert Klemme

Tom Allison wrote:
> I haven't a copy of the code yet but a friend of mine was bemoaning
> his efforts to create an application in ruby (conversion from python)
> and ran into a problem.
>
> He discards a LOT of objects during the final steps of his application
> run. This part of the process ultimately results in a crash every
> time he runs it.

What exactly do you mean by "discard"? Does he simply stop referencing a
big collection? Are there finalizers defined for objects?

> Is there something that can be recommended to help with garbage
> collection?

Do not switch it off.

Seriously, your description is a bit vague, so it's difficult to tell what
the cause of his problem is (might not be GC at all).

Kind regards

robert

Tom Allison

On 2/7/2006, "Robert Klemme" <bob.news@gmx.net> wrote:

>Tom Allison wrote:
>> I haven't a copy of the code yet but a friend of mine was bemoaning
>> his efforts to create an application in ruby (conversion from python)
>> and ran into a problem.
>>
>> He discards a LOT of objects during the final steps of his application
>> run. This part of the process ultimately results in a crash every
>> time he runs it.
>
>What exactly do you mean by "discard"? Does he simply stop referencing a
>big collection? Are there finalizers defined for objects?

I don't think he has anything like a defined finalizer.
I'll have to get the code...