Re: Ruby jargon and slang

MenTaLguY

2/6/2006 5:01:00 PM

Quoting Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com>:

> I'm assembling a list of Ruby community "usages" and I want to
> make sure I haven't missed anything important.
>
> I have such things as: duck typing, threequal, spaceship
> operator, singleton method, singleton class, splat or unary
> unarray, multiple or parallel assignment, and (ehh) eigenclass.

You've neglected chunky bacon.

-mental

7 Answers

Daniel Nugent

Chunky Bacon isn't jargon, it's a battle cry.

--
-Dan Nugent

Dirk Meijer

2006/2/6, Daniel Nugent <nugend@gmail.com>:

> Chunky Bacon isn't jargon, it's a battle cry.

should be in there anyway ;-)

james_b

Dirk Meijer wrote:
> 2006/2/6, Daniel Nugent <nugend@gmail.com>:
>
>>Chunky Bacon isn't jargon, it's a battle cry.
>

> should be in there anyway ;-)

What is it?

I mean, besides a shibboleth.

--
James Britt

Hal E. Fulton

James Britt wrote:
> Dirk Meijer wrote:
>
>> 2006/2/6, Daniel Nugent <nugend@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Chunky Bacon isn't jargon, it's a battle cry.
>>

>> should be in there anyway ;-)
>>

> What is it?
>
> I mean, besides a shibboleth.

Nothing more, I'd guess.

"Shibboleth" is also a shibboleth, I guess. Rather
self-referential.

Hal

james_b

Hal Fulton wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>>
>> What is it?
>>
>> I mean, besides a shibboleth.
>>

> Nothing more, I'd guess.
>
> "Shibboleth" is also a shibboleth, I guess. Rather
> self-referential.

Good catch!

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"

Martin DeMello

Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:

> "Shibboleth" is also a shibboleth, I guess. Rather
> self-referential.

More etymology than self-reference - "a shibboleth" is simply a word
that fulfils the same role "shibboleth" did in its original context.

martin

Hal E. Fulton

Logan Capaldo wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:58 AM, Martin DeMello wrote:
>
>> Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
>>

>>> "Shibboleth" is also a shibboleth, I guess. Rather
>>> self-referential.
>>

>> More etymology than self-reference - "a shibboleth" is simply a word
>> that fulfils the same role "shibboleth" did in its original context.
>>
>> martin
>>

> Everytime I see "shibboleth" all I can think of is HP Lovecraft.

Haha! No doubt HPL was influenced by real languages and words.

> ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

If I may cut and paste... I saw a T-shirt recently like this:

WHICH PART OF
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

And a similar one with Schroedinger's Equations...

Hal