Re: Ruby jargon and slang

Zach Dennis

2/6/2006 9:37:00 AM

Hal Fulton wrote:
> I'm assembling a list of Ruby community "usages" and I want to make
> sure I haven't missed anything important.
>
> I have such things as: duck typing, threequal, spaceship operator,
> singleton method, singleton class, splat or unary unarray,
> multiple or parallel assignment, and (ehh) eigenclass.
>
> Not all usages are considered official or will necessarily be
> treated equally.
>
> Terms that are extremely common outside our community and are used
> identically can probably be omitted from the list.
>
> Anyone?

um... the push operator <<

some folks call it the less-than-less-than thing, but that seems soo long.

Zach

6 Answers

Robert Klemme

zdennis wrote:
> Hal Fulton wrote:
>> I'm assembling a list of Ruby community "usages" and I want to make
>> sure I haven't missed anything important.
>>
>> I have such things as: duck typing, threequal, spaceship operator,
>> singleton method, singleton class, splat or unary unarray,
>> multiple or parallel assignment, and (ehh) eigenclass.
>>
>> Not all usages are considered official or will necessarily be
>> treated equally.
>>
>> Terms that are extremely common outside our community and are used
>> identically can probably be omitted from the list.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>

> um... the push operator <<

Isn't that the bit shift operator? :-)

> some folks call it the less-than-less-than thing, but that seems soo
> long.

robert

Hal E. Fulton

zdennis wrote:

> um... the push operator <<
>
> some folks call it the less-than-less-than thing, but that seems soo long.

Noted. I usually call it the append operator.

Hal

Jeff Schwab

Hal Fulton wrote:
> zdennis wrote:
>

>> um... the push operator <<
>>
>> some folks call it the less-than-less-than thing, but that seems soo
>> long.
>

> Noted. I usually call it the append operator.

In C++, it's often called the insertion operator. I have been thinking
of it as such in Ruby.

Matthew Smillie

On Feb 6, 2006, at 13:58, Jeffrey Schwab wrote:

> Hal Fulton wrote:
>> zdennis wrote:
>>> um... the push operator <<
>>>
>>> some folks call it the less-than-less-than thing, but that seems
>>> soo long.
>> Noted. I usually call it the append operator.
>
> In C++, it's often called the insertion operator. I have been
> thinking of it as such in Ruby.

So, if it operates like a duck...

Jeff Schwab

Matthew Smillie wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2006, at 13:58, Jeffrey Schwab wrote:
>
>> Hal Fulton wrote:

>>> Noted. I usually call it the append operator.
>>

>> In C++, it's often called the insertion operator. I have been
>> thinking of it as such in Ruby.
>

> So, if it operates like a duck...

Exactly.

I never understand why people think of duck typing as being unique to
dynamic languages. C++ has great support for static, generic
programming, and a lot of what Ruby does at run-time, C++ can do at
compile-time.

Of course, Ruby has plenty of advantages of its own. :)

Berger, Daniel

David Vallner wrote:
> Dna Utorok 07 Február 2006 01:22 Matthew Smillie napísal:
>
>>So, if it operates like a duck...
>

> So, from duck typing, we've come to duck surgery? *shudder*

They don't call those doctors "quacks" for nothing.

Dan