What is YARV?

Jim

2/4/2006 9:51:00 PM

I see it's a VM for Ruby, but what does that mean and what is it good
for?

2 Answers

Wilson Bilkovich

On 2/4/06, Jim <narf968@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see it's a VM for Ruby, but what does that mean and what is it good
> for?

Here's a poster from last year that may help explain what it's all about:
http://www.atdot.net/~ko1/tmp/OOPSLA05_...

David Vallner

Put shortly, it's a Rubyists (for given values of Rubyist, notably including
me) biggest dream. If it works out, Ruby scripts will run Damn Fast compared
to how they do now. They could also be distributable in a compact wordcode
form, for all the good and bad that brings.

<rant>
i also silently hope for YARV to run / compile in a mode without support for
string-based eval, the mild deprecation of that horrible, completely
unoptimizable language feature in the core / stdlib in favour of the
multitude of much cleaner reflection and metaprogramming present in Ruby, so
that there's at least a remote hope of such wonders like clean blocks that
don't prevent their entire scope from being GCed just because the interpreter
can't tell whether it will be used. Etc.
</rant>

David Vallner

Dna Sobota 04 Február 2006 22:53 Jim napísal: