one click installer + gems

pihentagy@gmail.com

2/4/2006 6:11:00 PM

Hi!

It was expected, that as of 1.8.4, ruby networking works on windows.
However using the latest installer, when I tried to install a gem
(actually rails), the gem process failed.

So is there anybody having the same problem, or can everbybody else
install gems under XP?

thx

Gergo

7 Answers

Curt Hibbs

On 2/4/06, pihentagy@gmail.com <pihentagy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It was expected, that as of 1.8.4, ruby networking works on windows.
> However using the latest installer, when I tried to install a gem
> (actually rails), the gem process failed.
>
> So is there anybody having the same problem, or can everbybody else
> install gems under XP?

I don't have any problem.

Are you behind a proxy server? Specifically, what error messages are
you getting?

Curt

pihentagy@gmail.com

No error message.
When I say: gem install rails, the last line I get is:
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'

I connect the internet via a router.

pihentagy@gmail.com

Additional problems:

cannot ping gems.rubyforge.org

The test script:
require 'socket'

hostname = ARGV[0]
puts "Making socket to #{hostname}"
sock = TCPSocket.new(hostname, 80)
mesg = "GET / HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: #{hostname}\r\n\r\n"
puts "writing to socket #{hostname}: " + mesg
sock.write mesg
puts "Wow, no hang!"

hangs on www.google.com

Anyway, my internet connection seems to be ok...

Curt Hibbs

On 2/4/06, pihentagy@gmail.com <pihentagy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Additional problems:
>
> cannot ping gems.rubyforge.org
>
> The test script:
> require 'socket'
>
> hostname = ARGV[0]
> puts "Making socket to #{hostname}"
> sock = TCPSocket.new(hostname, 80)
> mesg = "GET / HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: #{hostname}\r\n\r\n"
> puts "writing to socket #{hostname}: " + mesg
> sock.write mesg
> puts "Wow, no hang!"
>
> hangs on www.google.com
>
> Anyway, my internet connection seems to be ok...

How can you say your internet connection is ok when you can't get to
google? I can get to google and I can ping gems.rubyforge.org -- there
is defintiely something wrong with your internet connection.

Curt

Mauricio Fernández

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 08:35:00AM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> On 2/4/06, pihentagy@gmail.com <pihentagy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The test script:
> > require 'socket'
> >
> > hostname = ARGV[0]
> > puts "Making socket to #{hostname}"
> > sock = TCPSocket.new(hostname, 80)
> > mesg = "GET / HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: #{hostname}\r\n\r\n"
> > puts "writing to socket #{hostname}: " + mesg
> > sock.write mesg
> > puts "Wow, no hang!"
> >
> > hangs on www.google.com
> >
> > Anyway, my internet connection seems to be ok...
>
> How can you say your internet connection is ok when you can't get to
> google? I can get to google and I can ping gems.rubyforge.org -- there
> is defintiely something wrong with your internet connection.

I think he was hinting that the problem lies in Ruby's TCPSocket...
See [145244] for instance.

--
Mauricio Fernandez

pihentagy@gmail.com

I've read that 6 month old post, but don't know what to do.
So how to resolve?

thx

pihentagy@gmail.com

I can of course connect to google with other methods...