Editor on Mac OS X

Dan Munk

2/4/2006 1:21:00 AM

Hello,

I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
utility development. I am looking at

TextMate
SubEthaEdit
Komodo

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
Dan

18 Answers

Brasten Sager

Used all three. TextMate, definitely.

Dan Munk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development. I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Matthew Smillie

On Feb 4, 2006, at 1:23, Dan Munk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development. I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo

I've never seen the need for a company-wide standard editor. Every
time I've had to use one, I've ended up just using emacs on the sly.

So let the coders pick what they want to use, would be my
recommendation. You may not get a discount on a site license, but at
least a few of them would pick vim/emacs, so it'd likely even out.

Just make sure everyone knows to use spaces and not tabs, and you'll
do fine.

matthew smillie.

Tim Hunter

Dan Munk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development. I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.

TextMate

James Herdman

On 2006-02-03 20:21:25 -0500, "Dan Munk" <danmunk@gmail.com> said:

> Hello,
>
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development. I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

I haven't tried out Komodo, but I really like TextMate. It's fast,
fluid, and behaves like you expect an editor to. Although
SubEthaEdit's (hitherto "SEE") collaboration feature is great, TextMate
is faster (just watch the colourization of the souce code -- SEE is
super slow). TextMate also allows you to hook into the underlying
terminal to script new things -- be it automated text, templates,
"snippets" or macros.

Something else TextMate does that SEE doesn't do is column editing.
VERY helpful.

For the record, I use both. I use TextMate when doing coding on my
own, but SEE when coding in groups. If TextMate had SEE's
collaboration feature, I'd give up SEE forever.

Good luck in making a decision!

James

David Andrew Thompson

I would strongly recommend Radrails. You can download the standalone
IDE here: http://www.rad...

It is open source and allows for easy integration with CVS/SVN and is
backed by on the industry's most popular IDE's, Eclipse.

I tried Textmate (after all it seems everybody in the videos is using
it), but was not interested in paying for what I could get for free.
And I didn't find any feature sets over Radrails/Eclipse. In fact I
found the Radrails/Eclipse platform to be much more flexible and
backed by an open source community.

You can also set up Eclipse (http://www.e...) and simply
install the Radrails plugin. Let me know if you need help with that.

Hope this helps.

Dave
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David Andrew Thompson

On 2/3/06, Brasten Sager <brasten@nagilum.com> wrote:
> Used all three. TextMate, definitely.
>
> Dan Munk wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> > utility development. I am looking at
> >
> > TextMate
> > SubEthaEdit
> > Komodo
> >
> > I would appreciate any recommendations.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan

Tim Heaney

"Dan Munk" <danmunk@gmail.com> writes:

> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development. I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.

I don't do a lot of development on OS X, but when I do I use the same
thing I use on other platforms: Emacs. On OS X, I use the GNU Emacs
21.3.50.1 binary for 10.3 that I got at

http://webweavertech.com/ovidiu/...

The guy who compiled it (Andrew Choi) has since switched to XEmacs

http://members.shaw.ca/akoch...

Both of these work fine with ruby-mode.el, which comes with Ruby.

I hope this helps,

Tim

ruben

At Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:53:19 +0900, Tim Heaney wrote:

> I don't do a lot of development on OS X, but when I do I use the same
> thing I use on other platforms: Emacs. On OS X, I use the GNU Emacs
> 21.3.50.1 binary for 10.3 that I got at [...]

Same here, don't work with OS X a lot, but if so, then I also use GNU
Emacs. I use the version from S. Zenitani, at the following website:

http://homepage.mac.com/zenitani/em...

Also see the following for more information:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CarbonEm...

This version uses recent CVS, and comes with a number of packages.
Ruby-mode is already included and configured.

There are packages available for Tiger for both powerpc and x86 based
macs. And there is also a build available for Panther, but not by the
original maintainer.

Thought this might be helpful for some.

ruben

Gene Tani

Matthew Smillie wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2006, at 1:23, Dan Munk wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> > utility development. I am looking at
> >
> > TextMate
> > SubEthaEdit
> > Komodo
> >

> I've never seen the need for a company-wide standard editor. Every
> time I've had to use one, I've ended up just using emacs on the sly.
>
> So let the coders pick what they want to use, would be my
> recommendation. You may not get a discount on a site license, but at
> least a few of them would pick vim/emacs, so it'd likely even out.
>
> Just make sure everyone knows to use spaces and not tabs, and you'll
> do fine.
>
> matthew smillie.

+1. co-ercing, or even just *encouraging* people to use an editor
leads to tension, unless there's other requirements you didnt specify,
like source code management, GUI development, if they're also doing
python/perl, C/C++/Java or other (y'know, PHP) coding etc.

this list has noted textmate undo leaves something to be desired, and
komodo debugging rails has issues, if you "Search this Group" . Have
you looked at Jedit also?

Paul Robinson

On 4 Feb 2006, at 12:38, Gene Tani wrote:

> co-ercing, or even just *encouraging* people to use an editor
> leads to tension,

Only if they're idiots who don't understand vim is the one and true
way. :-)

> like source code management, GUI development, if they're also doing
> python/perl, C/C++/Java or other (y'know, PHP) coding etc.

All of which can be handled with all the editors on the planet
coupled with a window on a command-line in the background.

Coders need to code in the editor they are used to, period. I want
vim (occasionally TextMate, cos hey, it's there), the next guy wants
emacs, some want TextMate 100% of the time, and they all work.

It's just that vim works better. :-)

> this list has noted textmate undo leaves something to be desired, and
> komodo debugging rails has issues, if you "Search this Group" . Have
> you looked at Jedit also?

You know, I've never heard of a Jedit-"fan". Are there any here? I've
never dabbled with it much because it's Java and I still think of
Java as being slow and cludgy. Is it worth a play?

Incidentally, on Windows, the Cream extension of vim is truly lovely.

Tim Hammerquist

Dan Munk <danmunk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development. I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.

Vim.

I can use the same config files on all 5 platforms I use.

The instructor of the java course I'm taking now has even tried
to frighten us into using JBuilder, saying, "Get used to
industry-standard tools before you're in over your head!"

The OSX version of JBuilder, incidently, crashes when changing
LookAndFeels. I didn't bother to try to debug it. I just
opened up Vim.

YMMV,
Tim Hammerquist