irb cursor navigation

Matt Maycock

2/2/2006 4:29:00 PM

Whenever I use irb on my OS X 10.4 box, pressing left, right, up, or down
results in ^[[D, ^[[A, etc instead of the intended effect. Is there a fix?

Thank you,

~Matthew Maycock

--
There's no word in the English language for what you do to a dead thing to
make it stop chasing you.

Sascha Ebach

Matt Maycock wrote:
> Whenever I use irb on my OS X 10.4 box, pressing left, right, up, or down
> results in ^[[D, ^[[A, etc instead of the intended effect. Is there a fix?

Great, I have the same problem. Was just gonna ask myself. I have it on
RedHat Linux 7.3.

-Sascha Ebach

Tanner Burson

On 2/2/06, Sascha Ebach <se@digitale-wertschoepfung.de> wrote:

> Matt Maycock wrote:
> > Whenever I use irb on my OS X 10.4 box, pressing left, right, up, or
> down
> > results in ^[[D, ^[[A, etc instead of the intended effect. Is there a
> fix?
>
> Great, I have the same problem. Was just gonna ask myself. I have it on
> RedHat Linux 7.3.

It's most likely a lack of the readline library being installed. If you're
using the built in OSX ruby install it's recommended that you build your
own. Search this list for a LOT more information regarding ruby and
readline.

-Sascha Ebach

--
===Tanner Burson===
tanner.burson@gmail.com

James Herdman

On 2006-02-02 11:59:25 -0500, Tanner Burson <tanner.burson@gmail.com> said:

> On 2/2/06, Sascha Ebach <se@digitale-wertschoepfung.de> wrote:
>>
>> Matt Maycock wrote:
>>> Whenever I use irb on my OS X 10.4 box, pressing left, right, up, or
>> down
>>> results in ^[[D, ^[[A, etc instead of the intended effect. Is there a
>> fix?
>>
>> Great, I have the same problem. Was just gonna ask myself. I have it on
>> RedHat Linux 7.3.
>

> It's most likely a lack of the readline library being installed. If you're
> using the built in OSX ruby install it's recommended that you build your
> own. Search this list for a LOT more information regarding ruby and
> readline.
>
> -Sascha Ebach

I don't have this problem on my OS X 10.4 box. I compiled and
installed my own copy of Ruby following these instructions >>
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_m...
Make sure you read the part about /usr/local linked on that page.

James

Kelly Norton

On OS X 10.4, you are running into Apple's long standing readline
problems. There is a step-by-step fix described here:

http://tech.rufy.co...

However, there are other problems with Apple's ruby, so you may
seriously consider compiling your own.

/kel