How does one determine an objects class?

John Maclean

2/1/2006 4:14:00 PM

Say I've got
str = IO.read("testfile_for_using_file_open")
how can Idetermone what class this object belongs to?

--
John Maclean
MSc (DIC)

6 Answers

James Gray

On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:13 AM, John Maclean wrote:

> Say I've got
> str = IO.read("testfile_for_using_file_open")
> how can Idetermone what class this object belongs to?

str.class

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Austin Ziegler

On 01/02/06, John Maclean <info@jayeola.org> wrote:
> Say I've got
> str = IO.read("testfile_for_using_file_open")
> how can Idetermone what class this object belongs to?

Which object?

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Chris Gernon

John Maclean wrote:
> Say I've got
> str = IO.read("testfile_for_using_file_open")
> how can Idetermone what class this object belongs to?

puts str.class

Robert Klemme

John Maclean wrote:
> Say I've got
> str = IO.read("testfile_for_using_file_open")
> how can Idetermone what class this object belongs to?

str is of class String.

robert

;-)

John Maclean

Thanks chaps! I must say that I am impressed with the speedy reply:)

On
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 01:13:56 +0900 John Maclean <info@jayeola.org> wrote:

> Say I've got
> str = IO.read("testfile_for_using_file_open")
> how can Idetermone what class this object belongs to?

--
John Maclean
MSc (DIC)
07739 171 531

Antonio Cangiano

John Maclean wrote:
> Say I've got
> str = IO.read("testfile_for_using_file_open")
> how can Idetermone what class this object belongs to?

John, you can use the Object#class method.
In your case:

str.class

Use "ri class" for more info.

Cheers,