foo.h -> foo.rb

Ara.T.Howard

MenTaLguY

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 08:14 +0900, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> anyone out there written a parser that makes ruby dl bindings for *.h files?
> seems like such a beast would exist.

Well, you'd need more than just a parser, since you'd often have to pick
up on typedefs and other type information.

I wonder whether writing an alternate swig backend or something might
work.

-mental

Ara.T.Howard

Eric Hodel

On Jan 31, 2006, at 5:59 PM, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, MenTaLguY wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 08:14 +0900, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
>>> anyone out there written a parser that makes ruby dl bindings for
>>> *.h files?
>>> seems like such a beast would exist.
>>
>> Well, you'd need more than just a parser, since you'd often have
>> to pick
>> up on typedefs and other type information.
>>
>> I wonder whether writing an alternate swig backend or something might
>> work.
>
> that's about what i was thinking too. the cool thing about it
> would be that
> you'd end up with 'portable' ruby extension requiring no
> compilation...
> probably too big for me - i'm waiting for ryan davis to jump on ;-)

I tried to use DL to wrap libc for MetaRuby but found that it is
lacking necessary features to make it 100% useable (like 64 bit
integers for stat(2)). Switching to DL2 adds an unfamiliar
dependency whereas RubyInline is a familiar dependency.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...

http://trackmap.rob...