methods defined in main

Vivek

1/30/2006 12:55:00 PM

Hello,
I understand that everything in ruby is an object so a method defined
in a file like this in a file

def meth1
puts self
end

actually prints main.
but when I run it in the debugger mode and do main.methods. I get
'main' undefined variable..but If i do self.methods I can see the
methods but cant see the meth1 method.I thought ruby opens the 'main'
object and adds methods to that instance.
So whats happening here?
Vivek

7 Answers

Robert Klemme

Vivek wrote:
> Hello,
> I understand that everything in ruby is an object so a method
> defined in a file like this in a file
>

> def meth1
> puts self
> end
>
> actually prints main.
> but when I run it in the debugger mode and do main.methods. I get
> 'main' undefined variable..

The fact that self when printed shows "main" does not mean that there is a
variable with that name. You can make anything print main:

15:57:02 [~]: ruby -e 'o=Object.new; def o.to_s() "main" end; puts o'
main

>but If i do self.methods I can see the
> methods but cant see the meth1 method.I thought ruby opens the 'main'
> object and adds methods to that instance.
> So whats happening here?

You don't get to see private methods - and methods defined on top level
are implicitely private:

15:56:46 [~]: ruby -e 'def foo() puts "x" end; self.foo()'
-e:1: private method `foo' called for main:Object (NoMethodError)

15:56:58 [~]: ruby -e 'def foo() puts "x" end; foo()'

15:54:57 [~]: ruby -e 'def foo() end; p self.private_methods.grep(/foo/)'
["foo"]
15:57:44 [~]: ruby -e 'def foo() end; p private_methods.grep(/foo/)'
["foo"]

KInd regards

robert

Lotus_Bloom

On Jul 25, 2:33 pm, Deborah <debo...@modabelam.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:10:10 -0700 (PDT), Lotus_Bloom
>

> <dwal...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 25, 1:55 pm, "gig" <os...@lycos.com> wrote:
> >> "Lotus_Bloom" <dwal...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message

> >> Drugs  n. 1. Fool's gold.- Hide quoted text -

> >How so?
>
> He's right, in a way.  Drugs can show you something, but you can't
> keep looking for it with the drugs, or you'll just become an addict.
> You have to find another doorway.
>
> Deborah (BC)- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, that's why I call it an opening. :)) I am not speaking to
addiction or chasing anything.

Lotus_Bloom

On Jul 25, 2:40 pm, george <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 12:33 pm, Deborah <debo...@modabelam.com> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:10:10 -0700 (PDT), Lotus_Bloom
>
> > <dwal...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

> > >How so?
>
> > He's right, in a way.  Drugs can show you something, but you can't
> > keep looking for it with the drugs, or you'll just become an addict.
> > You have to find another doorway.
>
> > Deborah (BC)- Hide quoted text -

> Drugs and alcohol are a way of being different than someone is
> naturally. If they don't like who they are or want to be different,
> why not change into what they have decided is better?
> Drugs and alcohol are a way to find change from the outside in,
> instead of the only place change can actually happen, from the inside
> out. It's a way of seeking outside for happiness, instead of inside
> where all happiness is.- Hide quoted text -

I'd say that the times I have experienced them, that it was the
opposite, you were more natural, without the hang ups of concepts
heaped on. But that is would depend if you are trying to get
something or just being with the moment. Just my opinion. :)))

Lotus_Bloom

On Jul 25, 2:31 pm, Deborah <debo...@modabelam.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Lotus_Bloom
>

> <dwal...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 25, 1:33 pm, Deborah <debo...@modabelam.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, that's very true.  Who wrote "White Rabbit", do you remember?- Hide quoted text -

> >Looks like Grace did:
>
> >"White Rabbit" is a psychedelic rock song from Jefferson Airplane's
> >1967 album Surrealistic Pillow. It was released as a single, peaking
> >in the USA at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100. In 2004, the song was
> >ranked #478 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All
> >Time. First performed by composer Grace Slick with her band The Great
> >Society in 1966, the song helped convince members of the Airplane to
> >ask Slick to join their band.
>
> "One pill makes you larger aaaaaaaand one pill makes you small.  The
> pill your mother gives you don't do anything at all".  I loved that
> song.
>
> Deborah (BC)- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, super cool song.

george

On Jul 25, 1:00 pm, Lotus_Bloom <dwal...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2:40 pm, george <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 25, 12:33 pm, Deborah <debo...@modabelam.com> wrote:

> > > He's right, in a way.  Drugs can show you something, but you can't
> > > keep looking for it with the drugs, or you'll just become an addict.
> > > You have to find another doorway.
>
> > > Deborah (BC)- Hide quoted text -

> > Drugs and alcohol are a way of being different than someone is
> > naturally. If they don't like who they are or want to be different,
> > why not change into what they have decided is better?
> > Drugs and alcohol are a way to find change from the outside in,
> > instead of the only place change can actually happen, from the inside
> > out. It's a way of seeking outside for happiness, instead of inside
> > where all happiness is.- Hide quoted text -

> I'd say that the times I have experienced them, that it was the
> opposite, you were more natural, without the hang ups of concepts
> heaped on.  But that is would depend if you are trying to get
> something or just being with the moment.  Just my opinion.  :)))- Hide quoted text -

How can it be more natural if it only came about by taking a substance
from the outside?

Lotus_Bloom

On Jul 25, 3:24 pm, george <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 1:00 pm, Lotus_Bloom <dwal...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

> > > Drugs and alcohol are a way of being different than someone is
> > > naturally. If they don't like who they are or want to be different,
> > > why not change into what they have decided is better?
> > > Drugs and alcohol are a way to find change from the outside in,
> > > instead of the only place change can actually happen, from the inside
> > > out. It's a way of seeking outside for happiness, instead of inside
> > > where all happiness is.- Hide quoted text -

> > I'd say that the times I have experienced them, that it was the
> > opposite, you were more natural, without the hang ups of concepts
> > heaped on.  But that is would depend if you are trying to get
> > something or just being with the moment.  Just my opinion.  :)))- Hide quoted text -

> How can it be more natural if it only came about by taking a substance
> from the outside?- Hide quoted text -

I'm not talking about the substance, but I can see your point and
focus being on the substance. Many tools are used in this world,
books, teachers, meditation, etc. I had a friend that was an addict.
She was afraid to even take a pain pill. One day we were talking
about some medication and she went into the story about the pill. I
looked at her with the strangest expression and she said what? I
said, you mean when you take a pain pill you have all this story and
drama created around it? I told her I just take the pill. I think
the times that I have experienced drugs, it was merely a tool to
reveal what is already present.

miraclelurker

Thanks Deb. I never knew all that.