Strange posting about ebooks

Peter Hickman

1/30/2006 9:27:00 AM

For some unfathomable reason I have received four emails containing
various Ruby related ebooks:

Pragmatic Programmer, From Journeyman to Master.pdf
Syngress - Ruby Developer's Guide.pdf
The Pickaxe.pdf
Game Programming with Python Lua And Ruby.pdf
The Ruby way.chm
Ruby in a nutshell.chm

To my knowledge none of these are free, anyone else get them?

They came from Mubin Aktan <biyokuantum@yahoo.com> and the to list was
obiefernandez@gmail.com, pat.eyler@gmail.com, paul.umbers@gmail.com,
peter@semantico.com, petermichaux@yahoo.com

57 Answers

Pit Capitain

Peter Hickman schrieb:
> For some unfathomable reason I have received four emails containing
> various Ruby related ebooks:
>
> Pragmatic Programmer, From Journeyman to Master.pdf
> Syngress - Ruby Developer's Guide.pdf
> The Pickaxe.pdf
> Game Programming with Python Lua And Ruby.pdf
> The Ruby way.chm
> Ruby in a nutshell.chm
>
> To my knowledge none of these are free, anyone else get them?
>
> They came from Mubin Aktan <biyokuantum@yahoo.com> and the to list was
> obiefernandez@gmail.com, pat.eyler@gmail.com, paul.umbers@gmail.com,
> peter@semantico.com, petermichaux@yahoo.com

I also received four Emails, but deleted them as spam. I haven't looked
at the contents.

Regards,
Pit

Ross Bamford

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:26:38 -0000, Peter Hickman <peter@semantico.com>
wrote:

> For some unfathomable reason I have received four emails containing
> various Ruby related ebooks:
>
> Pragmatic Programmer, From Journeyman to Master.pdf
> Syngress - Ruby Developer's Guide.pdf
> The Pickaxe.pdf
> Game Programming with Python Lua And Ruby.pdf
> The Ruby way.chm
> Ruby in a nutshell.chm
>
> To my knowledge none of these are free, anyone else get them?

I did, from the same sender, but in a message to a different group of
recipients. Wasn't there a message on list a while back asking if anyone
wanted them?

I just deleted them - as well as the copyright issues, I gather that PDFs
could be vulnerable to viruses...?

--
Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk

Vassilis Rizopoulos

Pit Capitain wrote:
> Peter Hickman schrieb:
>> For some unfathomable reason I have received four emails containing
>> various Ruby related ebooks:
>>
>> Pragmatic Programmer, From Journeyman to Master.pdf Syngress - Ruby
>> Developer's Guide.pdf The Pickaxe.pdf Game Programming with Python
>> Lua And Ruby.pdf The Ruby way.chm Ruby in a nutshell.chm
>>
>> To my knowledge none of these are free, anyone else get them?
>>
>> They came from Mubin Aktan <biyokuantum@yahoo.com> and the to list
>> was obiefernandez@gmail.com, pat.eyler@gmail.com,
>> paul.umbers@gmail.com, peter@semantico.com, petermichaux@yahoo.com
>
> I also received four Emails, but deleted them as spam. I haven't
> looked at the contents.

Oh, they came through my spam filters so I did look at the contents and
they are the genuine article. I would have been more active if there was
some kind of virus in there.
The To: Headers are ofcourse different: collinsj, cribbsj, Daniel Bolt
and Daniel Berger in addition to myself.
Oh and I didn't get the first zip which obviously contains Ruby Way and
Ruby in a Nutshell.
I didn't really react to it because apart from the Lua/Ruby book (which
is not really my playground) I have a dead tree copy of the others (even
the ones I didn't get).
Thinking about it the Pickaxe 2nd Ed. is really handy as a reference
therefore nice to have as PDF, but the PP Book is really worth it's
weight in gold so better get the version that has weight :)
V.-

--
http://www.braveworl...

http://www.f... - äùñåÜí õðçñåóßá çëåêôñïíéêïý ôá÷õäñïìåßïõ.
http://www.f... - free email service for the Greek-speaking.

Paul Robinson

On 30 Jan 2006, at 11:13, Damphyr wrote:

> Oh, they came through my spam filters so I did look at the contents
> and
> they are the genuine article. I would have been more active if
> there was some kind of virus in there.

But the question is, why is somebody sending them out?

I haven't received them, but then I haven't posted to this list much
before. At least it means you can eliminate the route that it was
sent to all subscribers to the mailing list - just people who seem to
post.

So, is this a set-up for a "Ruby programmers are all thieves" story?
I just don't get the purpose. Was there anything else in the mail?

> Thinking about it the Pickaxe 2nd Ed. is really handy as a
> reference therefore nice to have as PDF, but the PP Book is really
> worth it's weight in gold so better get the version that has weight :)

I'd advise you destroy all the PDFs that you received illegally.
They're not yours, you don't own them, it's piracy. You might think
having the PDF is handy, so fine, pay for it.

For what it's worth, the Pragmatic Programmer's series all seem to be
watermarked PDFs if they're legit - I bought the PDFs legally - and
in the footer of each page in the main part of the books, it will say
"Prepared for..." (in my case it says "Paul Robinson") and name the
person involved. I'd suggest sending copies to the PP team so they
can track down who is stealing from them...

--
Paul Robinson

Peter Hickman

Paul Robinson wrote:

> For what it's worth, the Pragmatic Programmer's series all seem to be
> watermarked PDFs if they're legit - I bought the PDFs legally - and in
> the footer of each page in the main part of the books, it will say
> "Prepared for..." (in my case it says "Paul Robinson") and name the
> person involved. I'd suggest sending copies to the PP team so they can
> track down who is stealing from them...
The pickaxe shows "Prepared exclusively for Yeganefar"

Dick Davies

On 30/01/06, Peter Hickman <peter@semantico.com> wrote:

> The pickaxe shows "Prepared exclusively for Yeganefar"

I got these this morning too.

I'd assumed they were trojans and deleted them, but
I just pulled them out of 'deleted items' (go gmail!) and the pickaxe pdf I got
has the same tagline.

Maybe it's a sting operation by Dave T ? :)

http://number9.helloope...

Hal E. Fulton

Peter Hickman wrote:
> For some unfathomable reason I have received four emails containing
> various Ruby related ebooks:
>
> Pragmatic Programmer, From Journeyman to Master.pdf
> Syngress - Ruby Developer's Guide.pdf
> The Pickaxe.pdf
> Game Programming with Python Lua And Ruby.pdf
> The Ruby way.chm
> Ruby in a nutshell.chm
>
> To my knowledge none of these are free, anyone else get them?

He mailed them directly to me, too. :/

Hal

dblack

Dirk Meijer

i got them as well...
i replied with the questions who he was and why he sent me this, and he told
me he was "just trying to help ruby newbies out"..
i suppose he meant well.. he just did the wrong thing :P
greetings, Dirk.

2006/1/30, dblack@wobblini.net <dblack@wobblini.net>:

> Hi --
>
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Peter Hickman wrote:
>
> > For some unfathomable reason I have received four emails containing
> various
> > Ruby related ebooks:
> >
> > Pragmatic Programmer, From Journeyman to Master.pdf
> > Syngress - Ruby Developer's Guide.pdf
> > The Pickaxe.pdf
> > Game Programming with Python Lua And Ruby.pdf
> > The Ruby way.chm
> > Ruby in a nutshell.chm
> >
> > To my knowledge none of these are free, anyone else get them?
> >
> > They came from Mubin Aktan <biyokuantum@yahoo.com> and the to list was
> > obiefernandez@gmail.com, pat.eyler@gmail.com, paul.umbers@gmail.com,
> > peter@semantico.com, petermichaux@yahoo.com
>
> Yes, I got them too, with four or five other people on the to list.
>
> Unfathomable is right. I can't begin to figure out what's behind
> this. Sheer malice springs to mind.
>

> David
>
> --
> David A. Black
> dblack@wobblini.net
>
> "Ruby for Rails", from Manning Publications, coming May 1, 2006!
> http://www.manning.com/b...

dblack