Accessing global variable from a function

Vitaly Belman

1/28/2006 9:20:00 PM

I'd like to access a global variable from within a function, without
passing it as paramater. How do I do it? e.g

def func
puts i
end

i = 5
func

In PHP, for example, I could use the "global" keyword in the function.

Sebastian Steinlechner

Vitaly Belman wrote:
> I'd like to access a global variable from within a function, without
> passing it as paramater. How do I do it? e.g

You want to use a global variable, like so:

def func
puts $i
end

$i = 5
func

The "$" tells Ruby it's global.

> In PHP, for example, I could use the "global" keyword in the function.

Yeah... one of the most distracting "features" of PHP *shrugs*.

Sebastian

--
It was mentioned on CNN that the new prime number discovered recently is
four times bigger than the previous record.

JustAGuest

Vitaly Belman wrote:
> I'd like to access a global variable from within a function, without
> passing it as paramater. How do I do it?
Global variables start with a "$" so just write

def func
puts $i
end

$i = 5