The Seattle Brigade Chats with Bruce Eckel

james_b

1/27/2006 3:57:00 PM

Quite impressive.

http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thr...

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"

6 Answers

ptkwt

In article <43DA42DD.4030907@neurogami.com>,
James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>Quite impressive.
>
>http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thr...

Wow. Kudos to the Seattle.rb folks. It's great when you can move someone from
the "biased against you" camp into the "gee, the language has some interesting
features" camp.

Phil

Robert Klemme

Phil Tomson wrote:
> In article <43DA42DD.4030907@neurogami.com>,
> James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>> Quite impressive.
>>
>> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thr...
>>

> Wow. Kudos to the Seattle.rb folks. It's great when you can move
> someone from the "biased against you" camp into the "gee, the
> language has some interesting features" camp.

Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway, let's see
how this develops.

Cheers

robert

Robert H

In defense of Bruce, he was not vehemently against Ruby. He just wanted
to see an in-depth comparison of Ruby against Python. He admitted not
looking at Ruby very much.

I suspect the more he looks at Ruby and the more others point out why
Ruby is great to him, the more he will come to see its value.

Jamey Cribbs

Robert Klemme wrote:

>Phil Tomson wrote:
>

>>In article <43DA42DD.4030907@neurogami.com>,
>>James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Quite impressive.
>>>
>>>http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thr...
>>>

>>Wow. Kudos to the Seattle.rb folks. It's great when you can move
>>someone from the "biased against you" camp into the "gee, the
>>language has some interesting features" camp.
>>

>Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
>features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
>would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway, let's see
>how this develops.

I thought the same thing when I read his comments. To me, blocks are
the most useful feature that Ruby has over Python. His quick comment on
blocks indicates he probably doesn't "get" them yet. I know it took me
a while to understand how cool they were.

James Gray

On Feb 1, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> Phil Tomson wrote:
>> In article <43DA42DD.4030907@neurogami.com>,
>> James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>>> Quite impressive.
>>>
>>> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thr...
>>>

>> Wow. Kudos to the Seattle.rb folks. It's great when you can move
>> someone from the "biased against you" camp into the "gee, the
>> language has some interesting features" camp.
>
> Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
> features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
> would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway,
> let's see
> how this develops.

Yeah, some of the examples bugged me too, like Array#dump (which is
just `puts array`).

Ah well, he tried to learn a little. Have to give points for that.

James Edward Gray II

Eric Hodel

On Feb 1, 2006, at 1:39 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> Phil Tomson wrote:
>> In article <43DA42DD.4030907@neurogami.com>,
>> James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>>> Quite impressive.
>>>
>>> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thr...
>>
>> Wow. Kudos to the Seattle.rb folks. It's great when you can move
>> someone from the "biased against you" camp into the "gee, the
>> language has some interesting features" camp.
>
> Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
> features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
> would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway,
> let's see
> how this develops.

Bruce and I spent a ton of time on blocks including syntax and use.
We didn't go over much ruby code, so I don't think he's had enough
exposure to blocks to see how they're commonly used.

It didn't come across in the writeup very well, but blocks was
something Bruce wanted lots of information on.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...

http://trackmap.rob...