wxruby 2

RCS

1/26/2006 2:08:00 PM

Does anyone know the status of wxruby2, when something will be out (beta
or later), or where I can get info about the wxruby2 project?

Tia,
Baalbek
2 Answers

Alexis Reigel

> Does anyone know the status of wxruby2, when something will be out (beta
> or later), or where I can get info about the wxruby2 project?
>
> Tia,
> Baalbek

The sub-project of wxruby formerly known as wxruby-swig has been renamed
to wxruby2.
>> http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?for...

More info on wxruby's homepage
>> http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wi...

Cheers
Alexis Reigel

Alex Fenton

baalbek wrote:
> Does anyone know the status of wxruby2, when something will be out (beta
> or later), or where I can get info about the wxruby2 project?

Hi

Wxruby2 is pretty close to being a beta-quality release, but AFAIK there are a few SWIG memory management issues to sort. There is a good group of C++ developers involved who made a lot of progress over last summer, but they've all been short of time in the last few months, so been a lull in development.

It's usable enough for playing around, and has some nice new features beyond 0.6.0 - on top of all the native look'n'feel niceness of Wx generally - such as good support for OS X (inc aqua-look), Unicode, new widgets, and better exposing of Wx class hierarchies. Unlike 0.6.0 release from the old series, I wouldn't say it's stable enough for production code.

You'll get help with problems on the wxruby-users mlist. With a little push it could be released I think - and it's a nice project to be involved in if there are any developers looking for a project (hint hint). C++/SWIG experience great, but one of the nice things about the move to SWIG is that someone like me with no C/C++ knowledge at all can wrap WxWidgets classes and fix bugs.

hth
alex