local variables and threads

Russell Fulton

1/25/2006 3:06:00 AM

Is there a way to ensure that a particular variable really is local to a
thread block? I have a problem with a threaded program that would be
explained if one of the local variable was actually global. I've
checked everything I can think of...

I miss my and local from perl which allowed me to explicitly control the
scope of variables.

Russell.

Eero Saynatkari

Russell Fulton wrote:

> Is there a way to ensure that a particular variable really is local to a
> thread block? I have a problem with a threaded program that would be
> explained if one of the local variable was actually global. I've
> checked everything I can think of...
>
> I miss my and local from perl which allowed me to explicitly control the
> scope of variables.

Only variables prefixed with $ are global ($var and so on).
It is, however, certainly possible to have shared locals
if you have something like

some_var

t1 = Thread.new { ... }
t2 = Thread.new { ... }

Any variables that you define inside the thread block will
be local to that thread, though.

> Russell.

Robert Klemme

Russell Fulton wrote:
> Is there a way to ensure that a particular variable really is local
> to a thread block? I have a problem with a threaded program that
> would be explained if one of the local variable was actually global.
> I've checked everything I can think of...
>
> I miss my and local from perl which allowed me to explicitly control
> the scope of variables.

A typical problem with threads can be nicely illustrated with this:

09:21:51 [~]: ruby -e 'th=[]
> for i in 0 .. 5
> th << Thread.new do
> sleep(rand(5))
> puts i
> th.each {|t| t.join}
> '
09:22:21 [~]:

Problem here is that all threads share the local var 'i'. Solution:

09:22:21 [~]: ruby -e 'th=[]
> for i in 0 .. 5
> th << Thread.new(i) do |x|
> sleep(rand(5))
> puts x
> th.each {|t| t.join}'

I.e. provide value(s) as arguments to Thread.new and receive them as block
parameter(s) with different name(s).

HTH

Kind regards

robert