Problems compiling Ruby extension in MSVC

Sriyansa

1/25/2006 2:14:00 AM

I am trying to compile my ruby extension under Windows with the MSVC
compiler shipped with Visual Studio 2003. I have followed the steps
outlined here:

http://www.koontzfamily.org/david/b...

However on doing nmake I get the following errors:

cl : Command line warning D4024 : unrecognized source file type
'files/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin3
2', object file assumed
cl : Command line warning D4027 : source file
'files/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32' ignored
cl : Command line warning D4024 : unrecognized source file type
'files/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin3
2', object file assumed
cl : Command line warning D4027 : source file
'files/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32' ignored
Test.c
Test.c(1) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ruby.h': No
such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

It seems that the compiler does not like spaces in the include path (My
ruby install directory is D:\Program files\ruby). Is there any better
way of getting extensions to work under windows?

The ruby.h file is present at D:/Program
files/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32.

thanks,
Sriyansa

1 Answer

Jussi Jumppanen

> It seems that the compiler does not like spaces in
> the include path (My ruby install directory is
> D:\Program files\ruby).

Try wrapping the path in quotes for example:

"D:\Program files\ruby"

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows Ruby IDE
http://www.ze...