[ANN] RMagick gets face-lift, book and movie deal

Tim Hunter

1/21/2006 11:54:00 PM

I've just uploaded RMagick 1.10.0 to RubyForge. This is the first major
release of RMagick since last October. This release includes the
following changes:

o New methods in the Image class
add_noise_channel: Add noise to specified image channels
vignette: An RMagick example makes its way into the ImageMagick API!
Soften the edges of an image to produce an oval vignette.
crop_resized: Create a thumbnail with an exact size (thanks Jerret
Taylor!)
export_pixels_to_str
Super-fast export pixel data to a string buffer

o New Colorspace enumeration values for the Cineon and DPX image formats

o All known bugs fixed

o Removed the feature tests for unsupported releases of ImageMagick,
producing a faster configuration step. The configure script ensures
that the installed version of ImageMagick is one that RMagick
supports.

o RMagick checks at execution time to ensure that the version of
ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick in use is the same as the version for
which it was configured.

RMagick News
============

Apress's new book, _The Definitive Guide to ImageMagick_, by Michael
Still, devotes a chapter to using ImageMagick from Ruby programs via
RMagick.

The GraphicsMagick project is auditioning for the motion-picture
post-production business by adding support for industry-standard image
formats to the upcoming 1.2 release. The scripting interface of choice
is Ruby (of course!) via RMagick.

What is RMagick?
================

RMagick is an interface to the ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org) and
GraphicsMagick (www.graphicsmagick.org) image processing libraries.
These libraries support more than 90 image formats, including GIF, JPEG,
PNG. RMagick includes RVG, a 2D drawing API and has comprehensive HTML
documentation.

RMagick 1.10.0 is available as always from RubyForge:
http://www.rubyforge.org/projec...
3 Answers

anne001

I have installed Rmagick on my tiger with
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoInstallRMagickOnOSXTiger/ve...
I read that some folks have had difficulty, but it seems to work fine
for me. I was able to run a ruby example which uses it.

It is good to knwo there is a book on it, I will try to get it to see
what Rmagick does!

Jesse Hand

Cool! Win-32 version (binary gem) planned anytime soon?

Tim Hunter

Micha Magen wrote:
> Cool! Win-32 version (binary gem) planned anytime soon?

For that we are in Kaspar Schiess's Win32-black-belt hands...