c-extension problem

Jon Egil Strand

RubyTalk@gmail.com

Jon Egil Strand

RubyTalk@gmail.com

Sorry to bug you for more details. How do you run nmake.exe from 2003?

Becker

On 1/21/06, Jon Egil Strand <jes@luretanker.no> wrote:

> Becker
>
> Sorry about the lack of details. I also used the makefile approach.
>
> I used textpad, a simple text-editor, for writing the .c-code and then
> extconf.rb and nmake.exe from VS 2003.exe. The walkthrough in footnote (1)
> was very helpfull, although I must agree that this i cumbersome.
>
> Note that I had to install not only VS2003, but also the Platform SDK (for
> 2003-server, but works for my XP-sp2) to get it all going.
>

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, ruby talk wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > How did you compile the example in 2003? I am tring to do it with the
> > makefile not a compiler. When I create a blank c++ console project for
> the
> > code it gives me linking errors.
> > Thank you for any help
> > Becker
> >

> --
> Jon Egil Strand
> Phone: +47 98232340
> jes@luretanker.no

Jon Egil Strand

RubyTalk@gmail.com

hello
A few more questions, Where was your source file? I used the one click
installer and i do not see the scr folder. I downloaded the tar source
from the ruby website and i am using that.

Nmake. When i type it in the command line it does not recognize it. I
set up the variables for the system like the website said to. If I use
the nmake in the VC7\bin i get the cl is not recognized

The echo shows what should be there and extconf.rb does what is should.

Its the damn Nmake!

Becker

On 1/21/06, Jon Egil Strand <jes@luretanker.no> wrote:

> Becker
>
> > Sorry to bug you for more details. How do you run nmake.exe from 2003?
>
> No problem. Actually I don't run it from within 2003, I open a
> command-window, cd to the right directory and just run nmake.
>
> You should really read this:
> http://www.koontzfamily.org/david/b...
>
> All the best
> JE

Austin Ziegler

On 21/01/06, Jon Egil Strand <jes@luretanker.no> wrote:
> After reading through this walkthrough (1) of compiling c-extensions on
> Windows I was finally able to build the pickaxe example on two different
> PC's. One with Visual Studio 2003, the other with Visual C++ express 2005

RubyTalk@gmail.com

I get this error when tring nmake.
cl -nologo -LD -FeTest.so TcTest.obj Test.obj msvcrt-ruby18.lib
oldname
s.lib user32.lib advapi32.lib wsock32.lib -link -incremental:no -debug
-opt:ref
-opt:icf -dll -libpath:"c:/ruby/lib" -def:Test-i386-mswin32.def
cl : Command line warning D4024 : unrecognized source file type '.', object
file
assumed
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '.'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'F:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

I dont see where in the make file that line is. also where in that
line there just just a dot?

Becker

On 1/21/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/01/06, Jon Egil Strand <jes@luretanker.no> wrote:
> > After reading through this walkthrough (1) of compiling c-extensions on
> > Windows I was finally able to build the pickaxe example on two different
> > PC's. One with Visual Studio 2003, the other with Visual C++ express 2005.
> > Both compiled, only one worked. This raises some issues.
>
> Avoid compiling with Visual C++ 2005 for now. There are some ...
> changes that Microsoft has made. I am working on compiling with Visual
> C++ 2005 and have a couple of patches to finish trying from Nobu that
> may help alleviate this situation.
>
> -austin
> --
> Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
> * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Austin Ziegler

On 22/01/06, ruby talk <rubytalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get this error when tring nmake.
> cl -nologo -LD -FeTest.so TcTest.obj Test.obj msvcrt-ruby18.lib
> oldname
> s.lib user32.lib advapi32.lib wsock32.lib -link -incremental:no -debug
> -opt:ref
> -opt:icf -dll -libpath:"c:/ruby/lib" -def:Test-i386-mswin32.def
> cl : Command line warning D4024 : unrecognized source file type '.', object
> file
> assumed
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '.'
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'F:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
>
> I dont see where in the make file that line is. also where in that
> line there just just a dot?

Again, if you're trying this with Visual Studio 2005, please hold off.
I am preparing a comprehensive set of instructions.

-austin