Ruby Weekly News 9th - 15th January 2006

timsuth

1/18/2006 9:40:00 AM

http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/200...

Ruby Weekly News 9th - 15th January 2006
by Tim Sutherland and Jonathon Mah.

It's a shortie newsletter this week. (Paradoxically, the more threads on the
list, the shorter the newsletter.)

[ Contribute to the next newsletter ]

User Group News
===============

* St. Louis Ruby Users Group -- Jan. 24th

Curt Hibbs announced that the St. Louis Ruby Users Group (in Missouri,
U.S.) have a meeting on the fourth Thursday of every month.

* Southern Maine Ruby Group...
------------------------------

Pat Eyler forwarded an email announcing a new Ruby Brigade in Southern
Maine, U.S. (Portland).

* Boulder-Denver Ruby Group - January Meeting

Another first RUG meeting coming up: Boulder-Denver Ruby Group in
Colorado have their first meeting on January 25.

* Stockholm/Sweden User Group meeting
-------------------------------------

The first Stockholm Ruby User Group meeting is on the 19th of January.

* RUGS
------

Richard Kilmer noted that NovaRUG (Northern Virginia Ruby Users Group)
are to have their first meeting on January 26.

Quote of the Week
=================

* rue teaches piglet about symbols on #ruby-lang

James Britt:

| "When I use a symbol," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful
| tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor
| less."
| "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make symbols mean so
| many different things."
| "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -
| that's all."
|
| -- With apologies to Lewis Carroll (1832-1898) Through The Looking
| Glass 1871

Threads
=======

Packing (#62)
-------------

Ruby Quiz this week comes from Ilmari Heikkinen: write a program to pack
boxes of different dimensions as tightly as you can.

Regexps: Perl vs. Ruby
----------------------

Sam Dela Cruz inquired why the regular expression /^[\d\.]+$/ matched
differently in Perl and Ruby. David A Black responded, "^ and $ match
start and end of line, not string. For start and end of string, you want
\A and \z (or \Z to ignore final newline)."

String#split, respecting quotes?
--------------------------------

Richard Livsey asked how to split a string %Q{some words "some quoted
text" some more words} into an array ["some", "words", "some quoted text",
"some", "more", "words"]. Solutions using regexps flew in. Tim Hearney
noted that the CSV module can do just that:

require 'csv'
CSV::parse_line('some words "some quoted text" some more words', ' ')

Florian Groß pointed out the Shellwords module. Both have their
advantages.

Postgres-ing? Too many choices!
-------------------------------

Dave Howell found three different gems for talking to PostgreSQL
databases: postgres, postgres-pr and ruby-postgres.

What's the difference between them?

Dave Lee said that postgres and ruby-postgres are in fact the same project
- the latter is the newer name of it.

postgres-pr is a "pure Ruby" library that doesn't need PostgreSQL's libpq
native library (but has fewer functions than ruby-postgres, which wraps
the native library).

--
Q: What is normed, complete, and yellow?
A: A Bananach space...

Bill M

Andrew's tilted mind create all kinds of theories that support his
nonexistent God. I found I wasted my time answering his pure nonsesne.