Rubygems makes require return false?

Tim Hunter

1/17/2006 10:57:00 PM

Several folks have pointed out to me that after installing RMagick via
its gem, "require 'RMagick'" returns false. This makes them think that
RMagick isn't installed correctly. I notice that there's an open bug on
the Rubygems RubyForge bug tracker for this issue.

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t... talks
about removing "autorequire" from the gemspec. Is that the recommended
fix? I've got a new release of RMagick in the works and I'd like to fix
this if possible.
5 Answers

Gavin Sinclair

Timothy Hunter wrote:
> Several folks have pointed out to me that after installing RMagick via
> its gem, "require 'RMagick'" returns false. This makes them think that
> RMagick isn't installed correctly. I notice that there's an open bug on
> the Rubygems RubyForge bug tracker for this issue.

RubyGems doesn't directly cause require to return false; require
returns false when it's asked to load something it has already loaded.
e.g.

require 'date' # -> true
require 'date' # -> false

If the RMagick gem autorequires something which a user then explicitly
requires, false will be returned.

> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t... talks
> about removing "autorequire" from the gemspec. Is that the recommended
> fix? I've got a new release of RMagick in the works and I'd like to fix
> this if possible.

I think removing the autorequire is a good idea.

Gavin

<Kelly>

On Jul 29, 1:40 pm, "Jani" <j...@jani.adsl24.co.uk> wrote:

> There are many different kinds of heroism, Vera. Suppose someone - say, an
> ambulance paramedic, whose job quite often involves risking their lives for
> others - contracts HIV in the course of their work. And then suppose that
> because of Brett Tindall's contribution to HIV research, that person has a
> better chance of survival or eventual cure than they would have had
> otherwise. Would you still be dismissing Brett's work in such a cavalier and
> insulting fashion?

I wonder if her son or someone else in her family were HIV+ and they
could benefit from Brett's research if she would still be so quick to
dismiss his contributions...

...never mind - as blatantly stupid and hateful as she is, she likely
would.

Dr. House

On Jul 30, 9:51 am, "Chuck Stamford" <shell-stamf...@cox.net> wrote:
> "<Kelly>" <316k...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 29, 1:40 pm, "Jani" <j...@jani.adsl24.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > There are many different kinds of heroism, Vera. Suppose someone - say, an
> > ambulance paramedic, whose job quite often involves risking their lives
> > for
> > others - contracts HIV in the course of their work. And then suppose that
> > because of Brett Tindall's contribution to HIV research, that person has a
> > better chance of survival or eventual cure than they would have had
> > otherwise. Would you still be dismissing Brett's work in such a cavalier
> > and
> > insulting fashion?
>
> I wonder if her son or someone else in her family were HIV+ and they
> could benefit from Brett's research if she would still be so quick to
> dismiss his contributions...
>
> Chuck:
>
> Sheesh!  Do you people ever manage to support what you think about someone
> else's pov by actually addressing your remarks to that  pov?  You always
> change it into something it isn't first, and then go on and on about how
> rotten it is, and how it's so obviously untrue.  Well....duh!  After you
> remanufacture it into something it never was, it may very well be rotten and
> blatantly untrue, but so what when it's a whole different pov than the one
> expressed by the person in question, one that doesn't exist in reality?

Let me set aside the irony and hypocrisy. Just what is News Runner's
point of view then? What has everyone been getting so wrong?

> Kelly, you may "wonder" about some theoretical person in your above all you
> like, but so long as you so blatantly mischaracterize the pov of the actual
> person you have in mind to engage in such wonderment, there's a basic
> disconnect between you and reality.  I guess you need that though, right?

Well then why don't you set matters strait by accurately stating that
point of view and clarifying the difference?

House

Dr. House

On Jul 30, 1:06 pm, "Chuck Stamford" <shell-stamf...@cox.net> wrote:

[...]
> > Kelly, you may "wonder" about some theoretical person in your above all
> > you
> > like, but so long as you so blatantly mischaracterize the pov of the
> > actual
> > person you have in mind to engage in such wonderment, there's a basic
> > disconnect between you and reality. I guess you need that though, right?
>
> Well then why don't you set matters strait by accurately stating that
> point of view and clarifying the difference?
>
> Chuck:
>
> Go to the source; ask Vera.

In this case I am asking for your opinion on her POV so you would be
the source. You claim Kelly got it wrong. I'm sure you think that
about others as well. Can you articulate that 'basic disconnect'
between what Kelly thinks and the reality of what News Runner wrote?

House

Dr. House

On Jul 30, 5:21 pm, "Chuck Stamford" <shell-stamf...@cox.net> wrote:

[...]
> > > Kelly, you may "wonder" about some theoretical person in your above all
> > > you
> > > like, but so long as you so blatantly mischaracterize the pov of the
> > > actual
> > > person you have in mind to engage in such wonderment, there's a basic
> > > disconnect between you and reality. I guess you need that though, right?
>
> > Well then why don't you set matters strait by accurately stating that
> > point of view and clarifying the difference?
>
> > Chuck:
>
> > Go to the source; ask Vera.
>
> House:
>
> In this case I am asking for your opinion on her POV so you would be
> the source.  You claim Kelly got it wrong.  I'm sure you think that
> about others as well.  Can you articulate that 'basic disconnect'
> between what Kelly thinks and the reality of what News Runner wrote?
>
> Chuck:
>
> Sure, but that's not what you asked for the first time, which is why I sent
> you to Vera.

It is what I asked for the first time. I just didn't realize I need
to spell out to you that asking you means I want to hear _your
opinion_.

> The basic problem with Kelly's view of Vera's remarks is the same as yours,
> and pretty much everyone else's whose taken a shot across her bow - it
> invovles being factual what can only be speculated upon; i.e, her
> motivation.  She's entitled to her opinion, House.  Everyone is entitled to
> their opinion so long as they properly qualify it, but no one is doing that
> except for Vera and me!

I get so tired of telling you that I know they are all entitled to
their opinion and they all have the right to express it. Why do you
keep repeating this non-issue? Please provide a quote and link to
where I did not properly qualify my opinion.

> We're saying it is our opinion that Brett Tindall's life was not courageous
> nor self-sacrificial ("heroic") based on that testimonial alone, and that
> his life represents, in appearance at least, disobedience to God's will for
> intimate relationships between men and women.

That doesn't look anything like the comments that turned a 50 message
thread into a 900 message thread. You pretend that what you and GNR
said was not controversial and that isn't honest.

> Now everyone here has taken a turn at ADDING to that opinion whatever they
> think will best justify them villifying the two of us,

Nobody has added more to _your_ take on News Runner's position that
News Runner herself.

> some not even
> bothering to do that much.  Kelly falls into the latter category, acting as
> if it's just a given that what SHE mentally adds to what we actually did is
> "the truth",

The funny part is how much you mentally subtract. How many times have
you mentioned specific genetil parts in this thread? Oh wait, that's
not part of your point of view. No it couldn't be that.

> . . .and she's under no obligation at all to justify it to anyone,
> which is where she disconnects from reality.

Actually that sounds like you. When asked to justify we see you
bluster, distract, distort and drone on. Then when it is pointed out
to you that this is not quite what was expected you say you are done
and you snipe with bathroom humor insults.

>  She has the same epistemic
> obligations as anyone else does if she wants to be considered "sane", which
> is to say, regarded as having a properly functioning set of cognitive
> faculties, and she obviously wants to be regarded as such.  So she wants
> what she refuses to earn, which is another way in which she disconnects from
> the real world where there simply is no free lunch.

The funny thing is that when I take the time to provide what you
demand you find some excuse for not reading it. I can't blame Kelly
if she doesn't give you the time of day. She has probably watched
your game and knows how it ends.

> Now, if you want more than that, go see Vera.

Been there and done that. News Runner has vowed to do all she can to
ruin my reputation without ever facing me in strait debate again.
Either way it is her loss.

House