'env ruby -v' returns nothing

Sean Hussey

1/16/2006 3:16:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I''m trying to figure out why rubygems won't install correctly on this
particular RHEL4 box, but it does on others. Obviously, it's an
environment issue, but I can't track down where. here are some
details:

Compiling ruby 1.8.4 on 6 RHEL4 machines. 5 were ok. The one I do
the most dev on is not. Ruby works fine, but rubygems does not:

# gem -v
/usr/local/bin/gem: line 3: require: command not found
/usr/local/bin/gem: line 4: Gem.manage_gems: command not found
/usr/local/bin/gem: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/local/bin/gem: line 6: `required_version =
Gem::Version::Requirement.new(">= 1.8.0")'

gem installs with '/usr/bin/env ruby' as the default startup line, but
running this myself returns zilch:

# /usr/bin/env ruby
# /usr/bin/env ruby -v
# which gem
/usr/local/bin/gem
# which ruby
/usr/local/bin/ruby
#

Changing the shebang line in /usr/local/bin/gem to use
/usr/local/bin/ruby works as far as gem -v goes, but I'm afraid to use
it if I don't know what env vars it might use otherwise.

I have no ruby-based rpms installed anymore (I did once, but they
haven't been updated since 1.8.1, so I scrapped them). I've rm -rf'ed
the entire ruby distribution and started from scratch, so I'm thinking
it must be environment. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what
could cause this? I see no obvious discrepancies between this machine
and any of the other 5. Where should I look next?

Thank you!

Sean

7 Answers

Jacob Fugal

On 1/16/06, Sean Hussey <seanhussey@gmail.com> wrote:
> # /usr/bin/env ruby
> # /usr/bin/env ruby -v
> # which gem
> /usr/local/bin/gem
> # which ruby
> /usr/local/bin/ruby
>
> Changing the shebang line in /usr/local/bin/gem to use
> /usr/local/bin/ruby works as far as gem -v goes, but I'm afraid to use
> it if I don't know what env vars it might use otherwise.

It certainly does sound like an environment issue. My guess is the
PATH doesn't include /usr/local/bin, but if you can run 'gem' that
couldn't be it. Try running '/usr/bin/env' (without the 'ruby -v') on
each machine. This prints out the current environment and you can
compare to find the environment differences.

Jacob Fugal

Sean Hussey

Whoa. Check this out. On one of the "good" machines (some info snipped):

# /usr/bin/env
HOSTNAME=blah
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
HISTSIZE=100
SSH_CLIENT=::ffff:10.4.74.75 49771 22
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/0
USER=root
LS_COLORS=no=00:fi=00:di=01;34:ln=01;36:pi=40;33:so=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=01;05;37;41:mi=01;05;37;41:ex=01;32:*.cmd=01;32:*.exe=01;32:*.com=01;32:*.btm=01;32:*.bat=01;32:*.sh=01;32:*.csh=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*lzh=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.gz=01;31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.tif=01;35:
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/root
PATH=/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/libexec:/root/bin
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
PWD=/root
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHLVL=1
HOME=/root
LESSOPEN=|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
_=/usr/bin/env
#

Now, on the "bad" machine:

# /usr/bin/env
#

Huh?!

On 1/16/06, Jacob Fugal <lukfugl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/16/06, Sean Hussey <seanhussey@gmail.com> wrote:
> > # /usr/bin/env ruby
> > # /usr/bin/env ruby -v
> > # which gem
> > /usr/local/bin/gem
> > # which ruby
> > /usr/local/bin/ruby
> >
> > Changing the shebang line in /usr/local/bin/gem to use
> > /usr/local/bin/ruby works as far as gem -v goes, but I'm afraid to use
> > it if I don't know what env vars it might use otherwise.
>
> It certainly does sound like an environment issue. My guess is the
> PATH doesn't include /usr/local/bin, but if you can run 'gem' that
> couldn't be it. Try running '/usr/bin/env' (without the 'ruby -v') on
> each machine. This prints out the current environment and you can
> compare to find the environment differences.
>
> Jacob Fugal

OneTwoThree

"Lamont Cranston" <Lamont.Cranston@MeAndMy.com> wrote in message
> OneTwoThree wrote:
>> "Stutterin' John McKook" <vietnam@jail.net> wrote in message
>>> There's another story below "12,000 Troops Going to Afghanistan". The
>>> bottom line is that they don't have the troops to cover all the
>>> trouble they have caused, so they're only redeploying them from Iraq
>>> which they know they've lost. Meanwhile, McCain is raising the
>>> specter of conscription. I think that woman was a plant, but even if
>>> not, McCain needs to be questioned more. Let's see if he denies it.
>>>
>>> I hope we hear an "I TOLD YOU SO" from Obama's campaign. But it won/t
>>> matter. These stupid Repubs will lie about it or talk about Edwards'
>>> 'love-child'.
>>
>> now, we'll talk about what an empty suit Obama is and how he is
>
> Better an empty suit than an empty head.
>
>> falling in the polls despite the efforts of the liberal controlled
>> medai to prop him up.
>
> ROTFL! The corporate media is continuing its love affair with McCain.
> McCain has changed his position on a plethora of issues, but gets a pass
> from the corporate media. McCain fucks up several times a day, but gets a
> pass from the corporate media. If Obama so much as mispronounces a word,
> the corporate media is all over it. You guys are really going to have to
> give up this "liberal media" thing because there is absolutely no evidence
> to support it and an abundance of evidence that refutes it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/20/conservative_group_finds_...

at least start with some research then come back and tell us all about it

.

Stutterin' John McKook

"OneTwoThree" <youare@notverysmart.ru> wrote in message

> "Lamont Cranston" <Lamont.Cranston@MeAndMy.com> wrote in message
>> OneTwoThree wrote:
>>> "Stutterin' John McKook" <vietnam@jail.net> wrote in message

>>> now, we'll talk about what an empty suit Obama is and how he is
>>
>> Better an empty suit than an empty head.
>>
>>> falling in the polls despite the efforts of the liberal controlled
>>> medai to prop him up.
>>
>> ROTFL! The corporate media is continuing its love affair with McCain.
>> McCain has changed his position on a plethora of issues, but gets a pass
>> from the corporate media. McCain fucks up several times a day, but gets
>> a pass from the corporate media. If Obama so much as mispronounces a
>> word, the corporate media is all over it. You guys are really going to
>> have to give up this "liberal media" thing because there is absolutely no
>> evidence to support it and an abundance of evidence that refutes it.
>
> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/20/conservative_group_finds_...
>
> at least start with some research then come back and tell us all about it

America's Leading Media Companies
http://www.mediao...

See any Libs on that list, asshole?

Tazmanian Devil

"Lamont Cranston" <Lamont.Cranston@MeAndMy.com> wrote in message
> OneTwoThree wrote:
>> "Stutterin' John McKook" <vietnam@jail.net> wrote in message
>>> There's another story below "12,000 Troops Going to Afghanistan". The
>>> bottom line is that they don't have the troops to cover all the
>>> trouble they have caused, so they're only redeploying them from Iraq
>>> which they know they've lost. Meanwhile, McCain is raising the
>>> specter of conscription. I think that woman was a plant, but even if
>>> not, McCain needs to be questioned more. Let's see if he denies it.
>>>
>>> I hope we hear an "I TOLD YOU SO" from Obama's campaign. But it won/t
>>> matter. These stupid Repubs will lie about it or talk about Edwards'
>>> 'love-child'.
>>
>> now, we'll talk about what an empty suit Obama is and how he is
>
> Better an empty suit than an empty head.

"Empty suit" comes right from Pig Limbaugh. It means exactly nothing.
Another stupid Pug who can't think for himself. Talk about empty.

>> falling in the polls despite the efforts of the liberal controlled
>> medai to prop him up.
>
> ROTFL! The corporate media is continuing its love affair with McCain.
> McCain has changed his position on a plethora of issues, but gets a pass
> from the corporate media. McCain fucks up several times a day, but gets a
> pass from the corporate media. If Obama so much as mispronounces a word,
> the corporate media is all over it. You guys are really going to have to
> give up this "liberal media" thing because there is absolutely no evidence
> to support it and an abundance of evidence that refutes it.

Lamont Cranston

OneTwoThree wrote:
> "Tazmanian Devil" <myob@biteme.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Lamont Cranston" <Lamont.Cranston@MeAndMy.com> wrote in
>> message

>>> Better an empty suit than an empty head.
>>

>> "Empty suit" comes right from Pig Limbaugh. It means
>> exactly nothing.
>> Another stupid Pug who can't think for himself. Talk
>> about empty.
>
> "empty suit" is a term of denigration thats been around
> for decades,
> as anyone with an education knows.

But, as everybody knows, you dittoheads got it, like you get
all of your other terms of denigration, from Limbaugh.

> OneTwoThree wrote:
>> "Tazmanian Devil" <myob@biteme.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Lamont Cranston" <Lamont.Cranston@MeAndMy.com> wrote in message

>>> "Empty suit" comes right from Pig Limbaugh. It means exactly nothing.
>>> Another stupid Pug who can't think for himself. Talk about empty.
>>
>> "empty suit" is a term of denigration thats been around for decades,
>> as anyone with an education knows.
>
> But, as everybody knows, you dittoheads got it, like you get all of your
> other terms of denigration, from Limbaugh.

"everybody" knows, eh? just like everybody knows you leftbots received daily
e-mails telling you what to think and what to say?
says the leftbot, who dutifully repeats what his masters tell him - call
them limbots, tell them they get their marching orders from Limbaugh, etc
etc etc.

as I said, the term goes back decades. did it ever occur to you that those
of us whop predate Limbaugh's radio porogrma may have used the term decades
ago?

the OP asserted that the term was invented by Limbaugh. he is a leftbot
idiot who is incapable of even simple fact checking. as are you.