thousandth separator

bmgz

1/15/2006 8:56:00 PM

I am in need of a *simple* thousandth separtor function or something ie.

1000000.00 => 1,000,000.00

is their any simple solution to this?
2 Answers

Gene Tani

bmgz wrote:
> I am in need of a *simple* thousandth separtor function or something ie.
>
> 1000000.00 => 1,000,000.00
>
> is their any simple solution to this?

you can input numbers with "_" as sort of a thousands separator, so

400_000 == 400000

for output, something like this:
http://rubyforge.org/snippet/detail.php?type=snippe...

If you need anything locale-specific (e.g. switch between "," and "."
depenging on where you are, I'm not aware of anything like python
locale.format or locale.str. Googling shows lots of hits on *local*
vars or whatever. Let us know if you find anything

Gene Tani

Gene Tani wrote:
> bmgz wrote:
> > I am in need of a *simple* thousandth separtor function or something ie.
> >
> > 1000000.00 => 1,000,000.00
> >
> > is their any simple solution to this?
>
> you can input numbers with "_" as sort of a thousands separator, so
>
> 400_000 == 400000
>
> for output, something like this:
> http://rubyforge.org/snippet/detail.php?type=snippe...
>
> If you need anything locale-specific (e.g. switch between "," and "."
> depenging on where you are, I'm not aware of anything like python
> locale.format or locale.str. Googling shows lots of hits on *local*
> vars or whatever. Let us know if you find anything

locale-specific formatting: Numeric#format_s in extensions gives
fine-grained control over currency, thousands separators, negatives,
decimal point, etc

http://extensions.rubyforge.org/rdoc/...

(i knew it was here somehwere, just took a couple days)