[ANN] Librend 0.4

Ilmari Heikkinen

1/14/2006 11:18:00 PM

Librend 0.4-----------Real-time rendering on RubyDownload now! http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...* Gracefully degrading functionality! No more installing 6 supportlibraries just to get a rotating cube going!* RMagick support!* Billboards!* Vertical text alignment!* Brings the Ruby interpreter to its knees with very little effort! IsYOUR machine up to the challenge?!More information available at http://librend.rubyforge.orgRequirements:---... For 3D, you need SDL and OpenGL. For playing sounds, you only need SDL. For drawing vectors to PNG, you only need rcairo.Recommended:------------ Input handling, sounds, window management: Ruby/SDL bindings <http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubysdl.e... Basic 3D: Ruby/OpenGL bindings <http://www2.giganet.net/~... Loading images (Rend::Image, Rend::Texture): Imlib2-Ruby bindings <http://pablotron.org/software/imlib2... or RMagick <http://rmagick.rubyforg... For drawing 2D vector scenes (Rend::Vectors::VectorScene): rcairo Cairo bindings for Ruby. <http://cairographics.org/releas... so necessary, but nice to have:----------------------------------- If you want to use FTGL text (Rend::Text): Ruby FTGL <http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/ruby... Advanced 3D, shaders in particular (Rend::Shaders): Ruby/GLEW bindings <http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/rub... For a speed boost, get: Ruby Inline <http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/rubyi...
4 Answers

Bill Kelly

Hi Ilmari,

From: "Ilmari Heikkinen" <ilmari.heikkinen@gmail.com>

> Librend 0.4
> -----------
>
> Real-time rendering on Ruby
[...]
> Input handling, sounds, window management:
> Ruby/SDL bindings <http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubysdl.e...

Looks very nice!!!! I'm wondering, since SDL is used, does that mean Librend
can only open one window?

I had planned to use SDL/OpenGL for my current application, but have switched to
FreeGLUT since it allows multiple windows.

Regards,

Bill

Ilmari Heikkinen

On 1/15/06, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:> Hi Ilmari,>> From: "Ilmari Heikkinen" <ilmari.heikkinen@gmail.com>> >> > Librend 0.4> > -----------> >> > Real-time rendering on Ruby> [...]> > Input handling, sounds, window management:> > Ruby/SDL bindings <http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubysdl.en.html&g... Looks very nice!!!! I'm wondering, since SDL is used, does that mean Librend> can only open one window?>> I had planned to use SDL/OpenGL for my current application, but have switched to> FreeGLUT since it allows multiple windows.Yeah, I think it's limited to a single window. GLUT is a better fitfor multiple windows but sadly its input handling is less than stellar:/There still are remains of the old GLUT backend there, I suppose itmight work with some tweaking. Another possibility would be to write aGTK/QT backend to manage the input and provide OpenGL context. Mightbe a worthwhile goal to pursue for the next version..-Ilmari

Bill Kelly

From: "Ilmari Heikkinen" <ilmari.heikkinen@gmail.com>

>> I had planned to use SDL/OpenGL for my current application, but have switched to
>> FreeGLUT since it allows multiple windows.
>
> Yeah, I think it's limited to a single window. GLUT is a better fit
> for multiple windows but sadly its input handling is less than stellar
> :/

Ah, rats. Hmm. Is it that it responds poorly/sluggisly to input? Or
inconvenient API for getting events? (or...?)

> There still are remains of the old GLUT backend there, I suppose it
> might work with some tweaking. Another possibility would be to write a
> GTK/QT backend to manage the input and provide OpenGL context. Might
> be a worthwhile goal to pursue for the next version..

Cool, I wasn't/am not yet familiar with GTK - just did a web search and
found: GtkGLExt http://gtkglext.source...

Looks nice, I'll have to try it out. (Cool, there seem to already be Ruby
bindings: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?G... )

Regards,

Bill

Ilmari Heikkinen

On 1/15/06, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:> From: "Ilmari Heikkinen" <ilmari.heikkinen@gmail.com>> >> >> I had planned to use SDL/OpenGL for my current application, but have switched to> >> FreeGLUT since it allows multiple windows.> >> > Yeah, I think it's limited to a single window. GLUT is a better fit> > for multiple windows but sadly its input handling is less than stellar> > :/>> Ah, rats. Hmm. Is it that it responds poorly/sluggisly to input? Or> inconvenient API for getting events? (or...?)The last time i checked (a year or so ago (or was it three...)), itdidn't have mousewheel support (on win, linux version seemed to havemousebuttons 4 and 5) and there wasn't a real Windows installer. Theevent API is a bit of a pain as well, with all the events going toseparately set callbacks, instead of a single event pipe. Anyhow, it'sbeen a while since I last used it, so take this with a grain of salt -maybe things are better nowadays.Apart from that, it's a pretty good and easy to use system.-Ilmari