Configuration Problem on Mac OS X

Replicant

1/14/2006 11:22:00 AM

Hello,

Just recently started learning Ruby... currently, I'm having a problem
with the configuration file of a Ruby extension I'm trying to install.
Specifically, it's Ruby ncurses.

When I try to run extconf.rb from the package, I get the following
messages:

checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for ncurses.h... yes
checking for wmove() in -lncurses... no
checking for wmove() in -lpdcurses... no
extconf.rb:44: ncurses library not found (RuntimeError)

Running gcc manually, it can find the ncurses library, so that isn't
the problem.

After some looking-up, poking-around, and log-checking, I narrowed down
the problem, which shows up in this line in the mkmf.log:

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0':
No such file or directory

gcc --version indicates that I'm using version
"powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0 (GCC)", so the config file seems to be
looking for the wrong gcc.

I'm stumped as to what to do next to get the configuration script to
run correctly. Can anyone give a suggestion?

I'm using Macintosh OS X version 10.4.3, with Ruby 1.8.4. It's the
latest version of Ruby-ncurses, at 1.0.