Using Ruby to automate Windows tasks

Vincent Foley

1/13/2006 2:58:00 PM

Hello group,

I am starting a new job job in a little over a week where I'll work
with a friend who wants to automate some of the repetitive
administrative tasks he has to do. He works in a Windows environment,
in which I have almost no experience doing automation with Ruby.

If anyone wrote scripts using win32ole, or just general scripts to
automate tasks on Windows workstations and servers, could you please
post them here?

Thanks.

2 Answers

Chris Hulan

> If anyone wrote scripts using win32ole, or just general scripts to
> automate tasks on Windows workstations and servers, could you please
> post them here?

I've used OLE to populate Excel from Ruby. Had to find info on Excel
and OLE and adapt but wasn't too bad.

Have recently been looking at AutoIt
(http://www.autoitscript.co...) which provides simple automation
via OLE (http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?AutoIt_F...)

Cheers

expert-services

You can also try our automation software, Automation Anywhere.
http://www.tethyssol.../automation-so...
It allows you to record your script, or use command wizard or use
pre-defined automation templates.

If you don't need many advanced features, also check out a less
expensive windows automation option, Workspace Macro Pro.
http://www.tethyssol.../macro-auto...

Tethys Solutions, Expert Services Group
http://www.tethyssol...
SMART Macro & Automation Solutions