Newbie question: find source code of Enumerable, Comparable etc.

gtcc2009

1/12/2006 5:13:00 AM

Hi there,

I'm new to Ruby and trying to read the source, beside the books, to
understand the language. While I can find the source for many library
classes in the folder lib/ruby/1.8, I cannot find the source for
classes such as Kernel, Enumerable, Comparable, String, Array etc.

Is there any hint on where I can find those source files?

Thanks,

Dor

3 Answers

Kev Jackson

gtcc2009@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I'm new to Ruby and trying to read the source, beside the books, to
>understand the language. While I can find the source for many library
>classes in the folder lib/ruby/1.8, I cannot find the source for
>classes such as Kernel, Enumerable, Comparable, String, Array etc.
>
>Is there any hint on where I can find those source files?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dor

These are probably written in C (I'm sure someone will confirm this).
Kernel almost has to be written in C.

The full source for ruby can be downloaded from the CVS at ruby-lang.org

Kev

Daniel Harple

gtcc2009@yahoo.com wrote:
> <snip> Kernel, Enumerable, Comparable, String, Array etc.
>
> Is there any hint on where I can find those source files?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dor

They are wrote in C, so download the ruby source to view them.

-- Daniel

gtcc2009

Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you, Kev and Daniel.