Ruby 1.8.4 with readline support on OSX

Robert H

1/12/2006 2:09:00 AM

I tried installing readline (following a how-to for 1.8.4 on OSX) and I
get the following:

install: you may need to run ldconfig

I do not find ldconfig anywhere. Has anyone else gotten this message?

Robert

18 Answers

David Vallner

Robert Hicks wrote:

>I tried installing readline (following a how-to for 1.8.4 on OSX) and I
>get the following:
>
>install: you may need to run ldconfig
>
>I do not find ldconfig anywhere. Has anyone else gotten this message?
>
>Robert

Odds are if you don't have it on the system, you don't need to run it.
Try and see. I might be horribly mistaken, but I _think_ running
ldconfig serves for the system to know there's a new dynamic library
around the place, and it's necessary on some Unixen. Might want to check
how OSX handles dynamic libraries...

David Vallner

Robert H

Well, I may not need to run it but readline isn't installing either.

Garance A Drosehn

On 1/11/06, Robert Hicks <sigzero@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried installing readline (following a how-to for 1.8.4 on OSX) and I
> get the following:
>
> install: you may need to run ldconfig
>
> I do not find ldconfig anywhere. Has anyone else gotten this message?
>
> Robert

I'd suggest that you go to http://darwin...
and install darwinports, and then use darwinports to install ruby.
that port will automatically install the correct version of readline
for you, and compile everything correctly.

Btw, do you have the DeveloperTools installed on your Mac? Do you
have a /Developer directory, for instance? If you have not, then you
would need to install the developers tools first. (you would also
need to install those if you were to use darwinports).

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn = drosihn@gmail.com
Senior Systems Programmer or gad@FreeBSD.org

Robert H

I have the devtools...yes.

Robert

James Gray

On Jan 12, 2006, at 7:38 PM, Robert Hicks wrote:

> I have the devtools...yes.

Does this series of steps work for you?

curl ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/readline/readline-... | tar xfz -
cd readline-5.0
/configure
cd shlib
sed -e 's/-dynamic/-dynamiclib/' Makefile > Makefile.good
mv Makefile.good Makefile
cd ..
make && sudo make install
sudo rm /usr/lib/libreadline*
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libreadline* /usr/lib/

I got those from here, just FYI:

http://tech.rufy.com/articles/2005/05/01/complete-fix-for-ru...
os-x-10-4-tiger

James Edward Gray II

Michael Sullivan

Someone suggested installing libreadline in /usr/lib and linking it
back to /usr/local.

This is a "Bad Idea" (TM). since you would be messing with the core
operating system and its libraries. You're much better doing it either:

1. Using Darwin Ports (I personally prefer it over Fink) at
www.darwinports.org

2. Roll your own from source code (ftp.gnu.org). You can even use
FTPFS which is built into the Finder to make browsing easy.

By default the GNU code installs in /usr/local, and the Darwin Ports
installs in /opt/local. Both stay away from your core OS which is
good. If you start messing with the core OS, you must be careful you
absolutely know what you are doing and how to back it out in case of
trouble. The more changes you make, the more difficult this is.
Best to just leave it alone. If you make changes there, you could
easily end up affecting upgrades, patches and produce other unknown
or unwanted side-effects.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Mobile: +81-80-3202-2599

God is love. => Love is blind.
Ray Charles is blind. => Ray Charles is God.

On Jan 13, 2006, at 10:38 , Robert Hicks wrote:

> I have the devtools...yes.
>
> Robert

Joe Block

In article
<97880ae0601121653n4ebc5e3cq8ee82d127f70e109@mail.gmail.com>,
Garance A Drosehn <drosihn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/06, Robert Hicks <sigzero@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I tried installing readline (following a how-to for 1.8.4 on OSX) and I
> > get the following:
> >
> > install: you may need to run ldconfig
> >
> > I do not find ldconfig anywhere. Has anyone else gotten this message?
> >
> > Robert
>
> I'd suggest that you go to http://darwin...
> and install darwinports, and then use darwinports to install ruby.
> that port will automatically install the correct version of readline
> for you, and compile everything correctly.
>
> Btw, do you have the DeveloperTools installed on your Mac? Do you
> have a /Developer directory, for instance? If you have not, then you
> would need to install the developers tools first. (you would also
> need to install those if you were to use darwinports).

fink <http://fink.sourcefor... will also install ruby for you with
proper readline support.

--
Joe Block <jpb@apesseekingknowledge.net>

Have GNU, will travel.

Tim Heaney

Joe Block <jpb@ApesSeekingKnowledge.net> writes:

> fink <http://fink.sourcefor... will also install ruby for you with
> proper readline support.

That appears to be Ruby 1.8.1, which is a couple of years old. I
believe folks are looking for 1.8.4.

pere.noel

Robert Hicks <sigzero@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried installing readline (following a how-to for 1.8.4 on OSX) and I
> get the following:

i did a recent ruby install over a fresh tiger 10.4.4 ans i didn't have
to intsall readline :
~>locate readline
Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readlin
e.framework
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readli
ne.framework/Versions
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readli
ne.framework/Versions/Current
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/readline
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/readline/history.h
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/readline/readline.h
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/lib/libreadline.dylib

i would recommand NOT to use darwinports nor fink ot install ruby, it
installs straight out of the box in the latest version 1.8.4 on my iMac
G5...

install thru darwinports ONLY if you plan to use RubyGtk

for QtRuby no need od dp nor fink.

--
une bévue

Gene Tani

Une bévue wrote:
> Robert Hicks <sigzero@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried installing readline (following a how-to for 1.8.4 on OSX) and I
> > get the following:
>
> i did a recent ruby install over a fresh tiger 10.4.4 ans i didn't have
> to intsall readline :
> ~>locate readline
> Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readlin
> e.framework
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readli
> ne.framework/Versions
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readli
> ne.framework/Versions/Current
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/readline
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/readline/history.h
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/readline/readline.h
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/lib/libreadline.dylib
>

> i would recommand NOT to use darwinports nor fink ot install ruby, it
> installs straight out of the box in the latest version 1.8.4 on my iMac
> G5...
>
> install thru darwinports ONLY if you plan to use RubyGtk
>
> for QtRuby no need od dp nor fink.
>
> --
> une bévue

does gems work OK? I'm asking after a not entirely satisfactory
experience with tarballs, dp and fink in 1.8.3

and do i have to do anything with environment.plist (like i do with
python environmental vars?)